Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing.
I am particularly interested in:
- Character-level processing: letter-to-phoneme conversion, transliteration, syllabification, stress prediction
- Identification of cognates -- words that are similar across different languages (e.g. English night and German nacht)
- Applications of cognates in various areas of NLP, including language reconstruction, sentence and word alignment in bitexts, machine translation, and detecting confusable drug names
- Computing word similarity (orthographic, phonetic, and semantic)
- Applications of bioinformatics in NLP