Faculty of Science Fellowships
- Provide recognition and additional research funding to faculty members with strong research and/or teaching programs, and/or
- Use these awards as a stepping-stone for further university, provincial, national, and/or international recognition and funding
- Fund a maximum of 20 Faculty of Science Fellowships (deployed at any point in time), a mix of Research Fellowships and Teaching Fellowships.
- Research Fellowship: 5 years and provides $20,000/year in support.
- Teaching Fellowship: 3 years and provides $20,000/year in support.
- Funds must be used in support of research or teaching initiatives.
- $10,000 can be used for a one-course reduction in the number of courses taught in a given year. Only allowed in a year where there is no other reduction in the teaching assignment for the candidate. Any proposal for a teaching reduction must be accompanied by a plan detailing how the freed-up time will be used. Any change in the teaching requirements of a candidate must be negotiated with the Department Chair.
- A Fellowship can be competitively renewed once.
- A holder of a Research Fellowship is eligible to subsequently apply to hold a Teaching Fellowship, and vice versa.
- Faculty of Science tenured and tenure-track professors are eligible.
- Candidates must not have previously held a major Chair position (such as CRC, CERC, Alberta Innovates, NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC, industry-funded).
- Being awarded a major Chair position will end a Faculty of Science Fellowship.
- Applications are judged based on the quality of the nominee and their proposal.
- Nominations come from the Department Chair. An application consists of a one-page justification for the request from the Chair, a one-page summary of the research/teaching program to be carried out during the award period written by the nominee, and the CV of the nominee.
- Successful applicants must have demonstrated a strong program in research and/or teaching innovation and put forth a strong proposal that advances research and/or teaching in the Faculty of Science.
- Applications are to be adjudicated by the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean (Research), and/or Associate Dean (Learning and Innovation).
- Application submission date: January 18, 2017
- In exceptional cases, the adjudication committee can consider an application outside the normal deadline process.
- Number of Fellowships available each year to be determined by the Dean. The Fellowships will be phased in over four years, to a maximum of 20, to build a pipeline of applications. For year 1 of the program, eight will be made available.
- Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org