International students are eligible to participate in the Science Internship Program; however, it is possible that some internship positions may require students to be Canadian Citizens.
International Students are required to obtain a coop/intern work permit in order to be able to work in Canada as an internship student.
Coop/Intern Work Permit Information:
- International students who are accepted into SIP will receive a letter of support to include with their work permit application. This letter will be sent via email within two weeks of receiving notice of your acceptance to the program.
- It is strongly suggested that you allow a minimum of 4 months of processing time to obtain your work permit.
- Note that coop/intern work permit is the ONLY type of permit that can be used for a coop/intern placement.
- If your internship placement is physically located on a UAlberta campus, you do not need to apply for a coop/intern work permit.
- International students seeking clarification about their specific situations can contact International Student Services for all coop/intern work permit information and advising. Email email@example.com to ask a question or make an appointment.