University Health Centre

Health Faculty Immunizations

2019/20 Health Faculty Immunizations

Your chosen program of study includes clinical placements as an essential component of your program. In order to protect yourself and the patients you will be interacting with during your placement, you are required to have your immunization records reviewed and updated by a health care professional. We encourage you to visit us to ensure that your immunization requirements are met. 

Booking an appointment 

All health faculty immunizations require that you book an appointment during regular hours. Book your appointment early as appointment times fill fast, especially in August and September. Have your student ID, health care number, mailing address, phone number, and U of A email address ready when booking.

What to bring to your appointment 

Bring all of your childhood and adult immunization records.

Where to find your immunization records 

Check with your parents if they have your records. If they don’t, contact the public health unit connected to the municipality you grew up in.   

  • Edmonton and area: Call Health Link at 8-1-1
  • Calgary and area: 403-214-3641   
  • For Vancouver Coastal Health: 604-261-6366 

Additionally, contact your elementary school, physician’s office, or wherever you may have had childhood immunizations completed. 

What to do if your records are not located in Canada

Check with your family, physician, public health unit, or school in your country of origin. If you immigrated to Canada as a child, Immigration Canada requires an immunization record signed from a physician in your country. Ask your parents if they have a copy of the form. 

The appointment

The nursing team at the University Health Centre will review your immunization records and complete a faculty immunization clearance form with you. Depending on your immunization history and blood work, completing your form and receiving your immunizations will require at least two appointments. If you are unable to come to the University Health Centre, your family physician can fill out the form. All requirements are listed with the faculty medical form. Take these requirements with you when you see your family physician. 

Medical Electives and Residency Programs

Immunization forms for medical electives and residency programs follow the above procedure; additional fees may apply.