Learning more about the New Testament while experiencing the geographical, historical, cultural and religious context in which many New Testament events took place. Visit the places where Jesus and his apostles lived while receiving an introduction to the gospels, epistles and other New Testament books.
Visit Bethlehem with a professor from St. Joseph's College for a three-week course looking at the historical and literary background to the New Testament, with daily classes supplemented by weekend excursions to the Judean Desert, Nazareth, Tiberias, Galilee and Jerusalem.
- Students will travel from May 6 - 28, 2018
- The cost of the trip (including food, accommodations and travel) is approximately $3,800 + the University of Alberta Tuition (or Audit) Fee
- SJC has received a University of Alberta Education Abroad Group Award! This means that students enrolled in a University of Alberta degree program will receive funds to reduce their travel costs.
- The course will be tough by Dr. Mark Dickens with accompaniment by Fr. Terry Kersch, csb.
- The New Testament Canon
- New Testament manuscripts
- the Jewish and Greco-Roman worlds that shaped the New Testament
- the literary genres of gospel and epistle
- the relationship between the synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke)
- the gospel of John
- the Historical Jesus
- the Book of Acts
- the Apostle Paul
Additionally, key passages related to places visited during the course will be studied and discussed, with a view to learning and applying what is known as the Historical Critical Method of approaching the Bible.
- The course will be heavily oriented towards classroom discussion, so students should come prepared to participate actively and to reflect on both what they learn in class and experience while living in a culture very different from what they may be used to in Canada, but in many ways very similar to that in which Jesus and his early followers lived.
- Each weekday morning will be spent in class; afternoons will be for course work and travel to local sites.
||May 6 - 28