The process for developing For the Public Good's progress measurements is now underway.
In July 2016, the university established an advisory group to recommend a framework for reporting on performance against For the Public Good. To help guide their work, they have established the following principles for what the measurement process should include:
- a focused, manageable framework that blends quantitative and qualitative indicators
- indicators reflecting outcomes rather than simply activities, where possible
- integrity and efficiency of data collection
- relevance of indicators to For the Public Good objectives
- selection of relevant comparators
- timely modification of indicators to reflect institutional evolution
While the focus of at this stage of the process is on quantitative indicators, these will need to be supplemented with robust qualitative reporting. Numerical indicators are important, but they can never reflect the full scope or impact of the university’s teaching, research and community activities.
Since forming, this group is now consulting with a number of groups across the U of A regarding the development of the performance indicators. These groups include:
- President’s Executive Committee – Strategic
- University Research Planning Committee (Faculty-level Associate Deans of Research)
- Deans’ Council
- Vice-Provosts’ Council
- General Faculties Council (GFC) and two of its committees (Academic Planning and Executive)
- The Board of Governors and two of its committees (Audit and Learning and Discovery)