The University of Alberta is honoured to have received several awards for our efforts in sustainability, green architecture and environmental advocacy throughout our institution.
Sustainability Performance and Initiatives
Green Grown Award
- 2016 - The university’s chief sustainability officer was honoured with a Green Grown Award in the Sustainability Professional category.
Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System (STARS®) [link to STARS page]
- 2014 - The university earned a STARS® Gold rating.
- 2012 - The university earned a STARS® Silver rating.
- 2010 - The university registered as a STARS® Charter Participant. We submitted our first report in 2012.
Alberta Emerald Awards
- 2016 - The university’s Augustana Campus won an Emerald Award in the Education: Post Secondary category for embracing community service learning to accomplish environmental achievements on campus and and throughout the Camrose community. Watch our video to learn more.
2014 - The Office of Sustainability received an Emerald Award for its Waste in Residence programs. Watch our video to learn more.
2013 - The Office of Sustainability was named an Emerald Award finalist for its work advancing the university’s campus sustainability initiative. Watch our video to learn more.
Goodwill Industries of Alberta Community Partner of the Year
- 2012 - The Office of Sustainability earned a Community Partner of the Year award for its Eco Move Out event, its sustainable fashion shows, and for showing students the value of buying and donating used items.
College Sustainability Report Card
- 2011 - The Sustainable Endowments Institute recognized the university as a campus sustainability leader. We earned an A- average in sustainability measures and an overall B rating on its College Sustainability Report Card.
Recycling Council of Alberta Rs of Excellence Award
- 2007 - The university earned an Rs of Excellence award for developing its Recycle Transfer Centre [link to RTC page] in partnership with Waste Management of Canada.
Green Buildings and Design
- 2016 - Triffo Hall underwent a complex retrofit in 2009, becoming a model for sustainable design applied to restoring a historical building. The building earned a TOBY award in the Historical Building category.
- 2014 - The Edmonton Clinic Health Academy won a regional TOBY award in the 500,000 to One-Million Square Foot category.
- 2015 - Lister Conference Centre and Guest Suites earned a 4 Green Keys rating
- 2012 - Lister Conference Centre and Guest Suites earned a 3 Green Keys rating
- 2017 - Donadeo Innovation Centre for Engineering earned LEED Gold designation.
- 2014 - The Chemical and Materials Engineering Building earned a LEED® Gold designation for its renovation of floors 4, 5 and 6.
- 2009 - Triffo Hall was the university’s first building to register with LEED®, earning a LEED® Gold designation.
- 2014 - The Saville Community Sports Centre was recognized by the City of Edmonton’s mayor for its accessible design and creative sensitivity towards persons with disabilities.
- 2009 - Triffo Hall earned a SAB Award. The jury called Triffo Hall “a fine example of design that preserves the historic fabric of a heritage building while maximizing its flexibility of use.”
- 2016 - Jeanne and Peter Lougheed Performing Arts Centre receives the National Design Award for Sustainability from CISC.
- 2009 - Triffo Hall received a Sustainability Award from CISC. During the building’s renovation the project team re-used its existing steel structure and created new elements with steel to make the building more sustainable.
Environmental Awareness and Education
- 2017 - The Canada’s Top 100 Employers project has recognized the university as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers each year since 2009.
AASHE Best Case Study Award