Mission of University Relations
University Relations formulates strategies and undertakes initiatives that advance the University of Alberta’s reputation to its stakeholders and the public. We build understanding through storytelling, advocacy, community connections, special events and initiatives, working with our colleagues in academic faculties and administrative units across the U of A’s five campuses.
We seek to be a university that is admired, trusted and respected by those we serve—in Alberta, across Canada and around the world.
Three "Rs" define our goals and responsibilities:
- We advance and protect the university's reputation by telling the university's story in ways that resonate with stakeholder audiences.
- We build productive relationships that support the institutional mission.
- We ensure the availability of adequate public resources.
Three principles that guide our planning:
- There is often significant overlap among key stakeholder groups; this demands a fully
- Relationship-building must move beyond communication toward genuine engagement to
help stakeholders and communities understand that the University of Alberta is linked with
their lives, culture and society.
- We must connect with our stakeholders in ways that make sense to them—formally and
informally, through traditional and new media, through events and activities that bring the U of A into their communities and shine a light on our impact.