2019 Contest Rules & FAQ
Eligibility and Registration
- Teams must be registered before June 4, 2019 to participate.
- Offices, labs, and other work units are eligible to register as a team.
- Participants are not allowed to participate under more than one office/lab/unit.
- Only one main contact person should register per team.
- After registering, the main contact person will receive resources to distribute to the team, including the Commuter Challenge 2019 Tracking Form.
- Every participant is then responsible for tracking and entering their own trips to and from UAlberta from Monday, June 3rd to Friday, June 7th into the Tracking Form.
- The form will close on Tuesday, June 11th for analysis.
How will winners be chosen?
After all trip modes and distances have been calculated, two winning teams will be selected based on:
- Highest number of sustainable trips by team
Example: 3 people in an office of 5 biked for 2 days of the week, 1 telecommuted one day, and 1 used public transit everyday = 24 sustainable trips
- Highest percentage of sustainable trips by team
Example: 3 people in an office of 5 biked for 2 days of the week, 1 telecommuted one day, and 1 used public transit everyday = 24 sustainable trips/50 total trips taken throughout the week = 48% of trips were sustainable
What is a “sustainable” trip?
A sustainable trip is a commute that was traveled using transportation with a lesser impact on the environmental than single occupant vehicles. This includes, but is not limited to: biking, walking, rollerblading, public transit (LRT or bus), carpooling, telecommuting, or any combination.
Does it matter what mode of sustainable transportation I choose?
The goal of this challenge is to encourage people to commute to UAlberta via any mode of sustainable transportation and reduce the number of single occupant vehicles on the road. However, in the event of a tie, points will be awarded for more sustainable modes of transportation, based on carbon footprint. Points will be awarded as follows:
- Non-motorized transport (biking, rolling, walking, telecommuting): 1 point
- Sustainable motorized transport (public transit, carpooling): 0.5 points
Points will only be considered in the event of a tie.
I already take sustainable transportation! Can I still participate?
Absolutely! We commend you for already using sustainable transportation. To challenge you more, we encourage you to try more sustainable or non-motorized transportation, if possible.