Rent a Vehicle

Driver Authorization

To rent a vehicle through UAlberta, you must first meet our driver authorization requirements:

  • Renters may use our vehicles and rental services for university business only—our rental vehicles are not for personal use.
  • Renters must be at least 19 years old.
  • Renters must have a valid, non-graduated Class 5 licence (or higher) issued in Canada or the United States. Renters holding an out-of-province licence must submit a three-year driver abstract with their rental application.
  • Renters with more than six demerit points in the last three years can not be authorized.
  • Renters with more than three moving violations in the last three years can not be authorized.
  • Renters must have completed a defensive driving course within the last two years (and submit their certificate). Learn about completing drivers training online through UAlberta. We accept defensive driving course certificates issued by UAlberta, Canada Safety Council, Alberta Motor Association or Alberta Transportation.
  • Renters must complete a one-hour, in-car driver evaluation in a university vehicle. Schedule your in-car evaluation today.
  • Renters must submit a Request for Driving Privileges form to the Fleet Safety Officer.

Driver Authorization for 15-Passenger Vans

To rent a 15-passenger van through UAlberta, you must meet our driver authorization requirements, plus:

  • Renters must be at least 21 years old.
  • Renters must have a valid Class 4, 2 or 1 licence issued in Canada (or an equivalent licence issued in the United States).
  • Renters must complete UAlberta’s van orientation. Schedule your van orientation today.

Rent Your Vehicle

Ready to rent a vehicle through UAlberta? Call us at 780-492-1920. Please have the following information ready for your call:

  • Your first and second vehicle choices
  • The date and time of your departure and return
  • The name of your destination(s)
  • The purpose of your trip
  • Your speed code and the name of the person who authorized it.
    Important! We will need approval from a UAlberta financial authority to complete your rental reservation.


Only authorized drivers are covered by UAlberta’s vehicle insurance. If you have questions about UAlberta’s vehicle insurance, please contact Risk Management.

Fleet Fuel Cards

We can provide fleet fuel cards to certain renters, depending on the length and distance of their trip. You can use our fleet fuel cards to purchase fuel and pay for maintenance work up to $200, such as oil changes or tire repairs. 

You may only use your fleet fuel card toward fuel and maintenance on the vehicle for which it was issued. 

Fleet fuel cards are good at all major retailers in Canada. Please keep your receipt for each purchase you make with your card and record each transaction on your credit card expense report.