You may use your personal vehicle (or a vehicle you’ve personally rented) for university business if:
UAlberta does not reimburse personal auto insurance costs or vehicle registration costs for personal vehicles (even if they are being used for university business). UAlberta also does not respond to claims against any personal auto insurance policy.
Passengers in UAlberta Vehicles
Passengers travelling in vehicles rented through UAlberta must be assigned to the specific university activity for which the vehicle was rented. Passengers who do not meet this criteria are not permitted to ride in the vehicle.
Driver Log Books
Certain UAlberta vehicles require drivers to complete a daily log book (according to Transport Canada’s regulations):
- Vehicles that weigh more than 4,500 kilograms (such as 3/4 ton pick-up trucks with heavy cargo, most one-ton trucks and trucks rated three-ton or more)
- Vans and buses designed to carry ten or more people (including the driver)
However, there are some exceptions:
- Vehicles rented from an outside vehicle rental company for 30 days or less
- Driver scenarios that meet each of the following requirements:
- The entire trip (there and back) is less than 160 kilometers
- The driver returns to his or her departure location within 13 hours
- The driver maintains daily records of his or her start and end times (work times), including days off
- The driver is not under a permit or other restriction from Transport Canada (or another commercial vehicle regulation)
Contact our Fleet Safety Officer for your driver log book.
According to Transport Canada's regulations, vehicles that weigh more than 4,500 kilograms (such as 3/4-ton pick-up trucks with heavy cargo, most one-ton trucks and trucks rated three-ton or more) require daily driver inspections.
Contact our Fleet Safety Officer for your vehicle inspection sheets.
When you are driving a UAlberta vehicle, you represent the university. It is your responsibility to demonstrate professionalism when operating the vehicle and to obey all traffic laws.