In 2017 the University of Alberta amended its list of protected grounds in the Discrimination, Harassment, and Duty to Accommodate Policy to include Gender Identity and Expression.
We are fortunate to have Birju Dattani (Assistant Regional Director for the Alberta Human Rights Commission) and Shayne Golosky-Johnston (Coordinator of Where the Rivers Meet, Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services, University of Alberta) presenting on and discussing:
• What is meant by gender identity and gender expression?
• What accommodation must employers provide to support employees that are transitioning?
• What accommodation must service providers make available when providing services that are customarily available to the public?
• What are the best practices in creating respectful, inclusive environments for all including transgender individuals?
• Information about gender diversity from an Indigenous perspective
Date:October 5, 2017
Time:8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.Breakfast and registration
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 pmPresentation and Discussion
Location: Aurora Room, Lister Centre, University of Alberta
Cost: $52.50 (includes GST and Breakfast)
Registration: Register online bySeptember 26, 2017– Space is limited – register early https://www.eply.com/Human_Rights_Seminar_UofA_05Oct2017
For further information or to request an accommodation, please contact: Evelyn Hamdon, Advisor, Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights, University of Alberta:email@example.com