Communication with northerners and their communities is a vital part of the research process. In addition to communicating research objectives and methods prior to initiating a project, UAlberta North recognizes the value and importance of reporting and discussing research progress with communities. Indeed, reporting on research and informing a community about the results of a project may be a requirement for certain granting agencies that fund Northern research. UAlberta North will allocate funding annually for the purpose of community reporting and for communicating about a research project. Priority will be given to research projects that are supported by granting agencies that require community reporting of research progress and/or results.
The maximum value of an award will not normally exceed $2,500, though consideration will be given to higher requests that reflect the cost of travel to a particular community.
- To apply, graduate students must have applied for the NSTP or UANRA within the past two funding cycles.
- Applicants cannot be in their first year of studies; this is not for data collection or consultation.
- Reporting must occur in communities within the geographic boundaries for NSTP and UANRA eligible research.
- Funding can only be received once.
Community reporting (be innovative about what would be of value to the community):
Community reporting may take many forms, including (but not limited to):
- Making presentations to community groups and/or schools/colleges.
- Presenting at community-based workshops and conferences.
- Reporting on the research project at community social events and/or by visiting elders or going out on the land.
- Producing briefing materials for public circulation at the direction of a local or regional agency or government.
- Preparation of digital and or print legacy materials.
UAlberta North will allocate funding annually for the purpose of community reporting and for communicating about a research project. The 2017/2018 allocation is a pilot of the award and has a restricted timeframe due to starting the process well into the fiscal year.
The funds will need to be spent/Awarede by March 31st 2018.
Community Reporting Award 2017/2018 Allocation
(Eligible students – recipients of NSTP and or UANRA funds from University of Alberta)
- November 20th, 2017 – call for applications to eligible students.
- December 15th, 2017 – Deadline for applications.
- December – Adjudication Committee review and rank applications.
- Notify students • Funds for reporting from award date to March 31st 2018.
CRA 2018/2019 and following years
- January 2018 – Students put forward for NSTP and UANRA for 2018/2019 award year and the eligible students from prior years will be notified of eligibility
- March 1 – Deadline for Applications- send to Adjudication committee
- April – When allocate NSTP funding for 2018/2019 recipients, also adjudicate CRA awards.
- Awards good for fiscal year – April 1 – March 31st
Grant reporting to UAlberta North
• UAlberta North will require evidence of reporting, either confirmation from the community, copy of materials or other agreed upon documentation. This information will go out in the award letter.
• Pdf application with Supervisor’s signature
Community Reporting Terms of Reference
Community Reporting Application