University of Alberta administers the following awards to support group-based study abroad initiatives undertaken by University of Alberta faculty members, Faculties and other administrative units.
- The Campus Alberta Grant for International Learning (CAGFIL)—funded by Government of Alberta - Advanced Education and Technology—specifically supports faculty-led, group-based study abroad initiatives involving Alberta residents.
- The Education Abroad Group Awards (EAGA)—funded by the University of Alberta—supports a broad variety of international study abroad initiatives, including short-term summer courses and study tours, faculty-led programs, group internships, and programs led by partner institutions or third-party providers with agreed curricular arrangements.
For group abroad programs starting between January 1, 2016 and April 30, 2017
- Programs starting between January 1 and April 30, 2016 (not funded by the 2014-15 UAlberta Education Abroad Group Award) will ONLY be considered for the 2015 CAGFIL.
- Programs starting between May 1, 2016 to April 30, 2017 will be considered for both CAGFIL and EAGA.
Eligibility & Value
While eligibility requirements vary slightly between the CAGFIL and the EAGA, a single application and adjudication process will be used for both awards and the source of funding—CAGFIL or EAGA—will be determined during the selection process (see below).
The total value of the funding awarded to a group-based program will be based on the duration of the abroad program and the number of students participating. The total award granted will be calculated using the following per-student formula, for up to 8 months:
- $750 for Month 1 (or portion thereof)
- $500 per month for Months 2 and 3 (if applicable)
- $400 per month for Months 4 through 8 (if applicable)
Note: If a program is funded under the CAGFIL grant ($750* per student) but UAlberta students would have received more funding through the Education Abroad Group Award, these students will be topped up from EAGA funds (eg. programs that are longer than a month and UAlberta students who don't meet CAGFIL funding criteria). *The Ministry Advanced Education and Technology is considering increasing the amount of each CAGFIL award.
- Applications must be initiated and completed by a University of Alberta faculty member, Faculty or other administrative unit.
- Deadline to apply is 11:59pm Tuesday, October 13, 2015
- Complete application forms using Adobe Reader.
Application Form (PDF)
Complete and email to email@example.com
Declaration Form (PDF)
complete, sign and send hardcopy to:
142 Telus Centre
87 Avenue & 111 Street
Edmonton AB T6G 2R1
Attn: Markus Vuorensola
- The Education Abroad Group Award selection committee will rank all eligible applications in order of funding priority.
- Top-ranked programs will be confirmed up to the award value available through the EAGA funds, though funding source will not be confirmed.
- Top-ranked programs that meet CAGFIL criteria will be forwarded to Alberta Advanced Education and Technology for the CAGFIL competition.
- Once final decisions of CAGFIL grants are determined, a final list of total funded programs and funding source will be determined.
- Recipients will be announced in December 2015