Canadian Slavonic Papers
Revue Canadienne des Slavistes
An Interdisciplinary Journal Devoted to Central and Eastern Europe
Canadian Slavonic Papers / Revue canadienne des slavistes was established in 1956 at the University of Toronto as an occasional publication of the Canadian Association of Slavists, which was formed in 1946 and became an independent learned society in 1954.
In 1967 the journal began appearing twice yearly and became a quarterly in 1968. Today it remains the official organ of the Canadian Association of Slavists.
As the official journal of a learned society, Canadian Slavonic Papers' chief affiliation is to the society and not to a particular editor or university. The Editor, appointed by the Association, is always a senior scholar holding an academic appointment at the host institution.
The journal has been hosted by Carleton University, the University of Toronto and, since 1 July 1991, by the University of Alberta.
Since the founding of the journal, the following individuals served as Editors:
- George S.N. Luckyj, 1956-1961 (vols. 1-5)
- Adam Bromke, 1964-1966 (vols. 6-8)
- Philip E. Uren, 1967-1970 (vols. 9-12)
- John W. Strong, 1970-1975 (vols. 12-17)
- R.C. Elwood, 1975-1980 (vols. 17-22)
- R.D.B. Thomson, 1980-1986 (vols. 22-28)
- E.W. Dowler, 1986-1990 (vols. 28-32)
- Edward Mozejko, 1991-2000 (vols. 33-43)
- Oleh S. Ilnytzkyj, 2001-2010 (vols. 44-52)