About the Lectureship
The University of Alberta Visiting Lectureship in Human Rights is envisioned as one of the preeminent annual events held at the University.
Individuals or organizations that have made an outstanding contribution in the field of human rights and human rights protection are invited to deliver a major public lecture in Edmonton. They also participate in other significant events at the University of Alberta, the City of Edmonton and the Province of Alberta during their visit.
The first Lectureship, held in the fall of 1998, coincided with the 50th anniversary of the proclamation of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights.
The University of Alberta Visiting Lectureship in Human Rights aims to:
- Offer the people of the Province of Alberta a significant and educational way of annually celebrating the commitments we undertook as signatories of the United Nations Declaration on Human Rights.
- Support and nurture Albertans' continuing interest and illustrious involvement with human rights at home and abroad.
- Demonstrate the University of Alberta's commitment to helping students and Albertans understand complex human rights issues. This is especially important as the University and its graduates pursue economic, social and political alliances with peoples around the world. In creating these linkages, it is important that we are aware of and sensitive to situations involving the exploitation of others.
- Serve as an annual reminder to the people of Alberta of the need to protect human rights within our own province.
- Continue the University of Alberta's tradition of providing a safe environment to discuss controversial and difficult subjects and by doing so, provide students, faculty and staff with the opportunity to learn, question and participate in events shaping the world in which we live.
The University of Alberta invites you to submit nominations for individuals or organizations who would make outstanding lecturers.
We gratefully acknowledge the hard work of the donors and volunteers who help make the Lectureship a success.