The university covers all university-owned or legally-leased field equipment against direct physical loss or damage. This includes insurance against damage or loss due to fire, wind, water, flood, tornado, typhoon, tsunami, monsoon/storms, earthquake, and theft. In order for equipment to be considered legally leased there must be a written agreement in place.
Examples of property covered: equipment, computers, satellite phones, lab equipment, registered unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV or drones).
UAVs: Please note that every jurisdiction has privacy and aviation regulations regarding the use of drones and operators are responsible for adherence.
Type of property and loss not covered:
* Equipment breakage due to faulty workmanship or normal wear and tear.
* Loss of samples.
* Electronic data and/or records.
* Loss of property while in transit or cargo, due to mould and fungi, or by mysterious disappearance.
* Transportation of dangerous and/or high-value goods. Insurance & Risk Assessment should be contacted with details of any specialized and/or high-value equipment that will be in-transit or shipped via cargo. EHS and Insurance & Risk Assessment should also be contacted to discuss coverage if you will be handling any hazardous materials, including radiation.
* Unprotected remote sensing equipment, satellites and other similar unprotected equipment while being deployed, in use or in operation, or being retrieved or recovered anywhere including on land, underground, under the sea, at sea, in the atmosphere or in space.
* Personal property of any kind, including cell phones and cameras. These items may or not be insurable under your personal homeowner's/tenant's insurance policy. Please contact your insurance broker directly to discuss.
Note: Any agreement for the rental of short or long-term leased property, must be brought to the attention of the university. Please do not sign any agreement without first obtaining review by Insurance & Risk Assessment or General Counsel. When submitting a claim, receipts confirming purchase will be required.