Go Abroad

Safety & Security Abroad

UGo Travel Registry 

For students planning for education abroad activities, and/or education abroad program leaders planning for programs abroad, please refer to the University of Alberta's Off-Campus Activity and Travel Policy here.

Before leaving Canada, students are required to register with:

In the event of an emergency or crisis situation while overseas, this information will help both the University of Alberta and the Government of Canada obtain knowledge of:

  • Where you are located
  • How to get in contact with you
  • How we can be of assistance to you
  • Your emergency contact information

Emergency Contact - Students are also required to provide an emergency contact in their online application account before going abroad.

International SOS 

International SOS is a medical and travel security assistance service provided to University of Alberta students travelling abroad. The company provides the following services:

  • a website to find extensive health and security information about your destination that you can access before you leave and at your destination
  • an email and mobile app service that will send messages to you with the latest news about developing security or health threats in the region you are visiting
  • doctors and security experts you can call while you are away to get professional medical or security advice over the phone. (If you have an acute illness or injury that requires the care of a physician, you must call your own travel insurance provider first.)
  • when necessary, help with emergency medical care that goes beyond the coverage provided by your travel insurance provider.

UAlberta Students can access the University's membership number here. (Please sign in to your UAlberta account to access the document)

Telephone number:: +1 214 942 8478

You should receive an International SOS travel card at an in-person pre-departure session. If you are not attending an in-person session, please contact Markus Vuorensola at markus.vuorensola@ualberta.ca to make arrangements to receive a travel card.

Trip Cancellation Insurance

With recent events such as plane groundings due to technical issues, inclement weather, and demonstrations leading to flight cancellations and even airport closures, it's strongly recommended that students purchase Trip Cancellation Insurance. When purchasing Trip Cancellation Insurance, students should review the fine print of the policy in case there are exclusions. For example, if coverage or compensation for flight disruptions due to airport closures is not covered, students may not be able to recover the costs of cancelled flights.

Vaccinations and Immunizations

Consult a health care provider or visit a travel health clinic preferably six weeks before you travel.

Routine Vaccines

  • Be sure that your routine vaccines are up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.
  • Some of these vaccines include: measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, varicella (chickenpox), influenza and others.

Vaccines to Consider

  • You may be at risk for vaccine-preventable diseases (e.g. Hepatitis A and B, Yellow Fever, Japanese Encephalitis) while travelling abroad. Talk to your travel health provider about which ones are needed for the region you are travelling to.

Zika Virus

Prevent infections by preventing mosquito bites:

  • Use an effective insect repellent that contains DEET, Picaridin, PMD, or IR3535.
  • When outdoors, wear clothing that covers most of your body (long sleeves, long pants, socks).
  • Ensure windows are covered with fly-wire.
  • Consider using an insecticide-treated bed net.
  • Use "knock-down" insect spray to kill mosquitoes in your room.
  • Choose air conditioned accommodation if possible.
  • Prevent sexual transmission through using condoms (or abstinence).