Computing Science at the University of Alberta was one of the first programs of its kind in Canada and continues to be one of the top research-intensive Computing Science departments in the country. We have over 40 faculty members actively involved in a wide spectrum of research areas, including:
These research areas are very broad categories. Because of the interdisciplinary nature of CS, many of our research groups will fall under more than one research area.
Theses & Publications
Our faculty consists of internationally recognized leaders in areas that span the complete spectrum of modern Computing Science. Faculty and graduate students, with the support of our many research sponsors, are constantly working to advance Computing Science and making important contributions to the field.
View our theses and technical reports.
Awards and Accolades
We have received numerous accolades for the research done by our faculty and graduate students. Recently members of our department have:
- solved checkers
- won the Supercomputing Cluster Challenge
- earned the IBM research group of the year award
- placed highly in the ACM programming competition
- been inducted as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
- been awarded the Governor General’s Gold Medal for graduate student research
- won the first man-machine poker tournament
- been awarded the prestigious Rutherford teaching award
- been awarded the prestigious ASTech award