The Master of Nursing (MN) program was established in 1975. In 2007, it was revised to ensure graduates are well prepared to assume advanced practice roles. Course planning has taken into account: the complexity of the health care environment; an aging population; increasing prevalence of chronic diseases; health workforce demands; advances in the pedagogical process; and changes in the regulatory environment.
The Faculty of Nursing is pleased to administer many scholarships, bursaries and research and teaching assistantships to Master of Nursing students. These funding opportunities support the student’s program as well as enrich the experience in scholarship and hands on research. Support is primarily intended for full-time students but opportunities also exist for part-time students.
The MN program aims to prepare graduates to:
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge in advanced nursing practice
- Engage in reflection, to think critically, and to act with scientific integrity in scholarly endeavours
- Facilitate the learning process and participate in activities that influence health and healthcare policy
- Understand the interaction of the nursing profession with social, political, economic, and historical forces
All MN students may choose to complete a Thesis or Course-Based program. Students can complete the following in our program:
- Clinical MN: leading to entry-to-practice as a Nurse Practitioner (Adult)
- Clinical MN: leading to entry-to-practice as a Nurse Practitioner (Family/All Ages)
- MN-focused on one of the following areas: Teaching, Research, Leadership, or Community
- Specialization in Aging
- Teaching Certificate
- Post MN certificate (leading to entry-to-practice as a Nurse Practitioner (Adult or Family/All Ages)) for those who already possess a MN
To read more about our MN program and planning your program, please see the Masters Program Description page. Additional important information on graduate studies at this university is available on the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website (see also FGSR Scholarships and Awards).