Follow this step by step guide to prepare for your first year as a science student.

After You Apply

  • Activate your CCID and email
    The University of Alberta uses email as an official means of communication with students. For this reason, it is important that you regularly check your UAlberta email account. To set up your email and other university computer accounts, you need to first activate your CCID (this is your Campus ID). Your CCID was sent to the email address you provided when you first applied to UAlberta. Click here to activate your CCID.
  • Get to know BearTracks

    Bear Tracks is UAlberta's online, automated student record system. Bear Tracks can be accessed with your activated CCID and will allow you to:

    • Monitor the status of your application 
    • Update your contact information 
    • Register for your courses 
    • Apply for scholarships/awards 
    • Check your fees and financial account balance 

  • Accept your offer (Internal UofA transfer students)
    Current U of A students:

    In Bear Tracks, you must accept your offer of admission to your new program and you must transfer your course registration. Your registration can be transferred one of two ways. If your current registration includes courses added by a department your registration may be lost if you choose option two.

    1. Contact the Faculty of Science Student Services Office
    780.492.4758 or 1.800.358.8314 or stop by our office, 1-001 CCIS.

    2. BearTracks
    In the left column under Enroll click on Change Program and follow the instructions.

    *Make sure to review the status of your application on your Bear Tracks account regularly and submit any required documentation by the documentation deadline.
  • Accept your offer (New to UofA students)

    New to U of A students

    In order for you to finalize your admission and course registration you will need to Accept your Offer on Bear Tracks and pay a non-refundable $500 tuition deposit.

    Instructions- How to Accept your offer and Pay the Tuition Deposit

  • Find your enrollment date
    This is the actual date you can begin your course registration. You can locate your enrollment date on your Bear Tracks landing page under the Academics tab. We recommend you choose your courses as close to the registration date as possible because some classes fill up quickly.
  • Identify your program requirements

    Before you begin making your individualized timetable, it is important that you familiarize yourself with your degree program and know what course that you are required to take in your first year as a Science student. Click the following links to see your program curriculum


  • Transfer Credit

    Upon admission, courses from other post-secondary institutions as well as Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) are evaluated for credit toward your program in the Faculty of Science.

    • Students may be awarded a maximum of *60 transfer credits including no more than *42 junior (100-Level) courses.
    • Credit must also fit within the program to which you are being admitted otherwise it is not granted as transfer credit.

    Students who have received transfer credit must pay particular attention to any course notes and restrictions listed on their transfer credit report. These notes commonly state “may not also receive credit in course X at the U of A”. This means you are not permitted to take the course that has been listed in the comment.

    You may also find that transfer credit has been granted as [subject] 2XX (ie. BIOL 2XX). Occasionally courses are reviewed that are similar to, but not exactly the same as courses offered at the U of A. The material covered in these courses offer sufficient knowledge to qualify for credit, however due to slight differences, direct credit to a U of A course cannot be assigned. In the case of BIOL 2XX, credit is being granted for a 200 level Biology course.

  • Register for your courses
    Visit for to access tip sheets, videos and other resources.  Then follow our Registration Guide to help build your timetable.  

Questions about your application?  

1. Can I change my application to Science?
The last day to apply or make changes to your application is March 1, 2019 and we do not allow late program changes. 

2. What is the evaluation process?
The Registrar's Office has a page dedicated to this!  Visit for details

3. Can I update the grades I have submitted?
Yes you may update your grades up to April 15, 2019. After that date we will wait for final grades before re-assessing your application.

4. When or how do I submit my transcripts?
See to know what documents you need to order and where to send them.


Click for the top ten admission FAQs!