This is the current graduate course directory for 2019-2020 (subject to change). Click on the title of a course for a more detailed overview.
You can refer to the Graduate Program Manual
for information regarding: Registration (how to register, changes to registration, maintaining registration), auditing a course, withdrawing and so much more. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
Please be aware of the registration deadlines for each term. You can continue to add, drop, and change classes in your schedule until the add/drop deadline in each term. After that deadline, if you drop or withdraw from a course, you will still need to pay some or all of the tuition fee for that course, and that course will appear on your transcript.
Full-time thesis-based students must be registered in ★9 credits per term in both the Fall and Winter (6.10 Full-time Registration Policy).
You may need to register in thesis sections in combination with regular course registrations in order to achieve ★9 credits of course weight for registration status.
- THES 903: equivalent to a ★3 credit course
- THES 906: equivalent to a ★6 credit course
- THES 909: equivalent to a ★9 credit course
What to do, if a class is full
Most course registration is first-come, first-served. If there is a class you want to take but it is already full, you can place that class on your Watch List in Bear Tracks. When a space becomes available in that class, you will be notified by email or SMS, and you — along with anyone else who has that class on their Watch List — will have an opportunity to register on a first-come, first-served basis.
Students outside of Computing Science
If you are a current UofA student, in another department and want to enroll in our courses please read the following:
Our courses are generally restricted to students in our program, so you may not be able to enroll on Bear Tracks. This is because our students need to take these courses, in order to graduate. However, sometimes students from outside the Computing Science department are able to take our courses. If you are interested in taking Computing Science courses and are not in our department, please do the following:
- Email (from your ualberta email account) the instructor who teaches the course, to request written permission
- If permission has been granted, forward the email of confirmation from the professor to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate you have permission from the instructor to enroll in the course. You must include your full name, ID number and the course/class number you want to enroll in.
- We will enroll you in the course, manually. Once enrolled you will get an email indicating you have been enrolled and will be able to see this on Bear Tracks
(Note: It is up to each instructor who teaches a course to decide if you are eligible to enroll. Even if space is available in the course it does not guarantee your request will be approved.)
Fall 2019 - Winter 2020