CME Safety Resources

Standard Operating Procedure/Safe Work Procedure (SOP/SWP)

You are required to write an SOP for any hazardous laboratory work. To help you write the procedures the Department has built a database with SOP's written by fellow students. Select one that has content similar to the SOP you want to write. Modify it, date it, enter your name under author, and submit it to be posted. Our goal is to have enough SOP's listed that it becomes a simple exercise for you to write a procedure for every aspect of your research.

Note: Use your CCID and password to log in.

Transportation of Dangerous Goods

You may need to ship chemicals or samples off-campus for testing. Certification is required if you ship Dangerous Goods (DG) off-campus. A TDG training course is offered online by Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS), which will provide you with the information that you need to ship and receive hazardous goods at the University of Alberta. If your research group only needs to ship DG out occasionally, please ask department safety coordinator Shaofeng Yang at for help with the shipping.

Chemical Waste Disposal

Hazardous waste should be disposed of through CHEMATIX, a web-based system to manage waste disposal. Based on CHEMATIX input, EHS will schedule waste pickup and transfer for the university. To get started, register online to get access. You will be added to the system and notified by email. Then use your university CCID and associated password to log into the system. For information about the safe disposal of hazardous waste take the Hazardous Waste Management course and review the CHEMATIX user manual.

Emergency Response Plan

Review the unit action plan (emergency response plan) for the Chemical & Materials Engineering laboratories. This provides detailed information on steps to take in case of an emergency.

CME Building Emergency Response Wiki

Safety Data Sheet (SDS)

SDS's are available online for all chemicals. The following are two popular sites you may want to search:

Safety Document Management and Record Keeping

Please note that this list is not completely exhaustive - some laboratories have different needs than others. All documents and organizational systems should be modified to suit your research group's needs best. Many of the templates listed here are directly from HSE’s Resource webpage, other’s are maintained by the Faculty of Engineering Safety and Risk Management team and the department of Chemical and Materials Engineering

Please contact the department safety coordinator at if you have any questions.


Recommended Folder Structure (with clickable links)


01 - Leadership and Supervision

02 - Emergency Preparedness 

03 - Hazard Management

04 - Inventory of Goods

05 - Training and Documentation

06 - Procurement and Purchasing

  • Equipment Receipts (folder)
  • Chemical Receipts (folder)

07 - Regulatory Documentation and Licenses

08 - Equipment, Maintenance, and Inspection Records

09 - Other Documents

10 - Archive

  • Files and records must be maintained for 10 years.