Change to Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident

International students on a Study Permit who become Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada may be eligible for a fee reassessment and removal of the international differential fee depending on the effective date of their citizenship or permanent residency. (Please note that registered students can request this change only on the basis of their own status; merely having a spouse with Canadian citizenship does not, for example, make one eligible.)

In order for the differential fee to be removed for an entire term the student needs to fulfill the following requirements:

  • The citizenship or permanent resident date change occurs before or on the last day of the calendar month in which the term ends;
  • The student provides the necessary documents within said term or at the very latest during the first week of the following term.

For example: The Fall term ends in December and a student has until December 31 to obtain permanent residency status. This date must be clearly indicated on the permanent residency form. The documents need to be provided up to the first week of the Winter term.

To record a change from a study/work permit to Permanent Resident status, students should provide the Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies office with the following:

  • UAlberta ONEcard
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence form or your Permanent Resident card indicating the "Became a Permanent Resident" date

To record a change to Canadian citizenship, students should provide the Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies office with the following:

  • UAlberta ONEcard
  • The new Social Insurance Number card, the new passport, and a signed document with date showing change to Canadian citizenship

Original documents are required; photocopies are not accepted. However, please note that until further notice, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, students are asked not to bring these items to the GPS office in person. They should scan original copies of the documents and email them to

Students may also mail notarised certified true copies of these documents to the Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies office.

Students should also advise their home department of the immigration status change.

Students receiving any form of payment from the University of Alberta should also present their new Social Insurance card - when available - to Payroll Operations (2-60 University Terrace). Please contact Payroll Operations to determine protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Once the reassessment is processed, future registrations are assessed with Canadian/Permanent Resident fees.