Update on business processes for REBs/ACUCs and the Research Ethics Office
As of March 26, 2020, the Research Ethics Office is working remotely and able to conduct most business remotely during public health emergency. In regards to the review of ethics applications related to human and animal research, please note the following:
- We are continuing to review submissions as they are received so that researchers will be able to continue their research once the University/AHS resumes normal operations.
- Ethics approval does not guarantee that researchers will be able to conduct their research as outlined. Researchers must comply with all University of Alberta and AHS/Covenant Health guidance (as applicable) during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- COVID research applications will be prioritized.
For Human Participant Research: An emergency REB has been constituted and will conduct a virtual review of studies that require review by the full board. This Committee will be meeting on the regularly scheduled REB 4 Wednesday meeting dates and will convene additional meetings as needed.
- For any questions related to human participant research contact: email@example.com to have your question appropriately routed, or see our contacts page.
- If researchers require assistance with creating an ethics application, help is available through QMCR. Please contact Scott Jamieson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For Animal Research: Log into ARISE to see the memorandum which contains important communication with all animal users about research during COVID-19 crisis.