Extended Absence from Residence

Going away?

Remember to let Residence Services staff know if you will be absent from your residence for an extended period of time by submitting the Extended Absence Form.

This is a requirement of your Residence Agreement and helps us plan in emergency situations.

To fill out the Extended Absence Form log into your Residence Account.

What is an extended absence?

  • Single occupancy units: absences of one week or longer
  • Shared units: absences of four days or longer

Extended Absence Checklist

Remember you are responsible for your home.

Your room

  • Close your windows to avoid frozen pipes and major damage
    Please note: If Residence Services staff suspect windows are open during your extended absence, they will enter your room to address the issue. You may be held responsible for any fees or repair costs resulting from leaving windows open.
  • Unplug alarm clock, radio and all electrical devices (except refrigerators)
  • Empty your garbage and dispose of any perishable food
  • Turn off lights
  • Lock your door

Common areas (if applicable)

  • Ensure that no personal belongings are left in the lounge, kitchens, laundry, or washrooms, as applicable
  • Clean and properly store all personal dishes in the kitchen
  • Clean up all recycling (paper, cardboard, bottles, cans)
  • Dispose of or remove all perishable food
  • Turn off the stove/oven
  • Close all windows
  • Turn off all lights

Shared units

  • Ensure that common areas are clean, tidy, and organized with space available in cupboards, drawers, closets and the refrigerator so everyone has space for their belongings
  • Encourage roommates who are moving out to remove their furniture and personal items from the common spaces. Please remove any items left behind, as storage space in common areas is intended for current residents only.

If you have any questions please contact housing@ualberta.ca or call 780-492-3345.