The University of Alberta offers over $25 million in academic scholarships and financial awards to students each year, including several entrance awards to high school graduates who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement.
For detailed information about undergraduate scholarships and awards, visit the Office of the Registrar Scholarships and Awards page.
Department Awards and Scholarships
Thanks to generous donors, the Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences is able to award many scholarships and prizes each year.
- Entrance Scholarships
- The Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences annually awards six Academic Excellence Scholarships worth $1000 each on the basis of superior academic achievement to students entering an Honors or Specialization program in Mathematics or Statistics at the University of Alberta.
- Recipients are selected by the department and application is not necessary.
- Recipients will be selected based on the basis of Grade 11 and/or Grade 12 final marks. Additional factors that may be considered in selection include exceptional mathematical ability, performance in mathematics courses and mathematics competitions, articles in school or other magazines and organization of mathematical activities.
- Undergraduate Scholarships and Prizes
- For a list of department awards available, visit the Office of the Registrar Mathematical and Statistical Sciences Scholarships and Awards page.
- The Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences offers two additional awards, as follows:
- The Department Endowment Prize for Specialization in Statistics, valued at $750, for a student in the Specialization in Statistics program entering his/her fourth year with outstanding academic performance in the three courses STAT 265, STAT 266, and STAT 378.
- The Department Endowment Prize for Numerical Methods, valued at $750, for a students of outstanding academic merit in MATH 381 or MATH 481.
- Recipients are selected by the Department on the basis of merit and application is not necessary. In selecting recipients, we consider all students who are registered in one of our Specialization or Honors programs and who have completed a minimum of *24 in the previous Fall/Winter terms with an overall GPA of at least 3.5.