Those wishing to enrol in the MLS integrated B.Sc. program are required to complete a preprofessional year prior to applying for admission to the Faculty. The required courses, or their equivalents, are available at a number of universities and community colleges in Alberta. Students are encouraged where possible to take these courses (equivalent to *30 at the University of Alberta) as one year of full-time study.
A minimum of *30 are required, including courses in introductory chemistry, organic chemistry, microbiology, genetics, and English. For students attending the University of Alberta, appropriate courses would include:
- English (*6)
- General Chemistry (*6)
- Organic Chemistry (*6)
- Biology (cell biology) (*3)
- Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, or Zoology (*3)
- Statistics (*3)
- Option - any faculty (*3)
- A minimum application GPA of 2.7 is required in preprofessional course work. With the exception of ENGL, all preprofessional courses are prerequisites for senior courses.
- The preprofessional program may be completed through full- or part-time study at a number of post-secondary institutions that offer courses accepted as equivalent. For equivalencies, see the MLS conversion chart or visit the Alberta Council on Admission and Transfer.
Letter of Intent:
- Applicants must submit the 2-part letter of intent form (available in September).
- Prospective students are encouraged to tour a clinical laboratory, speak to staff in a clinical laboratory or investigate the career online to assist in their understanding of the program.
Multiple Mini Interview:
Interview selection is based on postsecondary academic records and a letter of intent received by April 1. Selected applicants will be interviewed to determine if they have the qualities necessary for the profession. The interview will evaluate qualities such as communication, teamwork, reflection, conflict resolution, empathy, responsibility, initiative, problem-solving ability, prioritization and organization. Short-listed applicants (i.e. those who have submitted the 2-part letter of intent form by April 1 and whose application is active) will be advised of the mandatory in-person interview date.
The 2019 MMI date is yet to be confirmed. Interviews will be held in ECHA on the University of Alberta campus. This will be for short-listed applicants applying for admission into the Fall 2019 semester.
English language requirements:
- The selection process is competitive, and the GPA in the required preprofessional courses, the cumulative GPA, the letter of intent, and the personal interview will be considered. Preference will be given to those students who have completed the required *30 in one academic year.
If you are admitted:
- Police Information Checks: Applicants should be aware that a clear Police Information Check, which must include a Vulnerable Sector Check, is required at the time of admission. Students who fail to provide a clear Police Information Check may be required to withdraw from their program. See the University of Alberta Calendar for more information on the general requirements concerning Police Information Checks and the fees associated with them.
- Immunizations: Students are required to obtain specified immunizations. The form and further details will be provided on admission to the program
To apply, please visit the Applications page of the Office of the Registrar and Student Awards.