Who Can Help Me?

Researchers applying to any of the Tri-Council Agencies or other major funding competitions are encouraged to avail themselves of the Grant Assist Program's various supports, described in the Toolkit for Success.

These are not your only resources however. See the right sidebar for Quick Links and GAP SS&H contact information, and below for links to other people and institutions available to assist you.

Faculties appoint Associate Deans of Research. Their role is to inform, support, and champion their faculty colleagues in securing research funding. In most cases your ADR signs research applications on behalf of the faculty before they are sent on to the Research Services Office. Most ADRs also read and provide feedback on those applications. You should discuss your research plans with your ADR who is also your ally in assisting you to find matching institutional funding if required to support certain grant applications.

Associate Deans of Research Deans' Offices
Augustana Campus Augustana Campus
Campus Saint-Jean Campus Saint-Jean
Agricultural Life and Environmental Sciences Agricultural Life and Environmental Sciences
Arts Arts
Education Education
Extension Extension
Law Law
Native Studies Native Studies
Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation Kinesiology, Sport, and Recreation
Business Business

For other ADRs, please contact your faculty office.

The Office of the Vice-President (Research) appoints Associate Vice-Presidents whose mandates include advice and high-level support for major applications. Do not be afraid to contact your AVP if your grant proposal requires institutional support beyond what your faculty can provide.


ADR Augustana Campus

Vice Doyen/nne Campus Saint-Jean

  • The Research Services Office is the legal entity responsible for authenticating all grant proposal submissions and receipt of all grant funds. RSO staff negotiate government and industry sponsored research agreements, ensure all research is compatible with established university policies and procedures, and complies with the terms and conditions agreed upon with granting agencies and donors. The RSO allocates specific Research Facilitators to each Faculty. All researchers planning to submit a grant application to any agencyshould contact their Research Facilitator well in advance. Your RF will confirm internal grant submission deadlines, grant submission processes, eligible spending guidelines, as well as funding opportunities and more. If your planned research requires partnership with industry, patent protection or ethics clearance, you should also contact the RSO.
  • The Research Ethics Office provides support for and administration of all aspects of the ethics review and approval process for research involving human participants and research, teaching and testing involving animals. The REO also provides training for research involving human interlocutors and animal subjects.
  • The Faculty of Graduate Studies is an essential resource if your planned research will involve graduate students. SSHRC's Guidlelines for Effective Research Training are clear: Graduate students funded with research competition funds must receive high quality professional experience. The FGSR has a Professional Development & Outreach Program Director and a variety of resources to help graduate students develop expertise. This degree of institutional support for graduate students is an asset in any SSHRC application.
  • The Undergraduate Research Initiative supports the involvement of University of Alberta undergraduate students in research activities, including training for undergraduate students, matching undergrads to faculty researchers, and providing a stipend of up to $5,000 for undergrads who are ranked as eligible, and a research costs support fund intended to help a researcher off-set costs associated with an undergraduate's research. In its mandate to create and sustaina culture of undergraduate research at the University of Alberta, the URI is an important resource for faculty members, especially those whose departments do not include graduate students.
  • The Arts Resource Centre supports research computing and digital humanities. From web-design to data management, visualization, secure storage and advanced software solutions. They blend advanced computer engineering expertise with prolonged experience in the arts, to provide technological support to SSHRC-type research grant applications.
  • The Field Research Office supports any research taking place off campus, in any discipline. They can assist with permitting and other research documents, field safety training, advice about travelling abroad with field equipment or importing specimens for analysis, will help you develop an emergency response plan, and provide an emergency check-in centre.
  • The University of Alberta has 29 registered Museum collections of interest to social scientists and humanities researchers, with 17 million well-documented specimens. Many are digitized. The Museums and Collections curators are available to assist you with your research, and with conservation of any objects you may collect (audio recordings, botanicals, fossils, textiles, costumes, paintings, postcards, ice cores, soil samples, etc.). They can assist you with Canadian Border Services' export permit applications and process, should you need to move artifacts or objects internationally. Museums and Collections Services also offers training sessions on a variety of topics suitable for faculty, staff, students and volunteers. The latter fits within SSHRC's Guidelines for Effective Research Training.
  • UAlberta North has the mandate to implement the university's Northern Strategy, including strengthening relationships with northern partners, facilitating knowledge exchange and student research opportunities.
  • UAlberta International is involved in more than 400 formal teaching, research and student mobility agreements with governments, organizations and collaborating institutions in over 50 countries, and offers support to faculty seeking funding for professional development and other learning activities.They also operate UGo, a voluntary travel registry for faculty, staff and students engaging in activities off-campus.
  • The students' Career Centre can help you find the right undergraduate or graduate student employee to work on your research project.
  • Human Resources hosts a site with salary scales for academic and non-academic employees, including graduate students hired as Research Assistants or Teaching Assistants (Scroll to the bottom of the page for the GRA/GTA salary scales).