Ph.D., Queen's University
M.A., University of Toronto
I teach courses on classical and medieval literature and have written on medieval drama, Latin historiography, Shakespeare, and Thomas More. My current work examines devotional literature written immediately before the English Reformation. When not reading or writing about monks, I try to make time for my excessive number of hobbies, which include language learning, cooking, and running.
- Editor. Richard Whitford's Dyuers Holy Instrucyons and Teachynges Very Necessary for the Helth of Mannes Soule. Liverpool: Liverpool UP (forthcoming)
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Resignation or Rebuttal?: Three Biblical Exempla in Richard Whitford’s Dyuers Holy Instrucyons and Teachynges,” Late Medieval Devotional Compilations in England. Eds. Marleen Cré, Diana Denissen and Denis Renevey. Brepols, 2019, 215-28.
- "'In ye secret chambre of the mynde, in the preuy closet of the sowle’: Monastic Discipline and Devotion in More’s Life of Pico." Moreana 54.1 (2017): 86-107.
- "Scrupulosity and Heresy: William Bonde’s Reply to Evangelical views of Christian Freedom and Salvation in The Directory of Conscience." Continuity and Change. Papers from the Birgitta Conference at Dartington 2015. Eds Elin Andersson, Claes Gejrot, Eddie Jones and Mia Åkestam. Kungl. Vitterhets historie och antikvitetsakademien. Konferenser 94, 2017, 251-267.
- "The very healthy food of monastic life’: John Whethamstede, Monastic Identity, and the Legacy of Claustral Reading." The American Benedictine Review 66.3 (2015): 303-24.
- "Shakespeare’s Medievalism and the Life Removed: Depictions of Religious in Measure for Measure.” The Year’s Work in Medievalism 29 (2014): 2-12.
- "'Closed and kept most surely in religion’: Richard Whitford, Monastic Culture, and the Regulation of Lay Piety." Renaissance and Reformation 36.1 (2013): 95-130.
- "A Monastic Reformation of Domestic Space: Richard Whitford’s Werke for Householders.” Fifteenth-Century Studies 38 (2013): 1-19.
- "Seniority and Mastery: The Politics of Ageism in the Coventry Cycle." Early Theatre 9.1 (2006): 15-36.