Campus Life

Supporting students during the war in Ukraine

Academic, financial and wellness supports are available.

  • March 08, 2022

The University of Alberta is deeply empathetic to members of our campus community affected by the ongoing events in Ukraine and Europe. Affirming the message from the president and provost, we stand with our students with close ties to the region.

We are working to extend help to applicants, students and scholars from Ukraine whose lives are being affected. We have expedited applications for admission in 2022-23 and are simplifying documentation requirements. Graduate applications are being evaluated by the departments with similar prioritization and simplification where possible. The university will waive up to all of the 2022-23 tuition fees for any Ukrainian Study Permit holders who are suffering financial hardship due to the war. We will also provide funding to support living costs for all incoming Ukrainian students and current Ukrainian students in need during the 2022-23 academic year.

The University of Alberta has also established an emergency fund to support areas of greatest need for impacted students and scholars. Anyone wishing to support these efforts can make a donation at

During this time of distress, the University of Alberta is here. If you or a fellow student needs any support, please reach out to our support services:

  • If you are a student facing financial barriers or difficulties due to the ongoing conflict, reach out to An advisor from Student Financial Support will work with you.
  • Student Service Centre: The Student Service Centre can answer questions or connect you with services to support your academic, financial, mental, and physical well-being. Submit an inquiry and select "Other > Ukraine" from the dropdown menu.
  • Current graduate students, applicants interested in graduate programs, and postdoctoral fellows and academic visitors should contact for support related to their graduate programs or contracts.
  • Office of the Dean of Students: The Office of the Dean of Students is here to support you during this time of change and uncertainty. If you are unsure of which services you need, email
  • GSA Graduate Student Assistance Program (GSAP): All graduate students, and their partners and dependents, can access confidential counselling services on a broad range of issues as well as a wealth of health promotion programs and services. Call 780-428-7587 any time to access services and support.
  • International Student Services: International Student Services is ready to support students in affected areas.
  • Counselling and Clinical Services: Free, confidential services for a range of student mental health concerns. If you are abroad, the U of A has wellness supports available for you. In addition, there are services available if you need immediate wellness assistance.
  • Peer Support Centre: Provided by the Students’ Union, the Peer Support Centre provides information, referrals, crisis intervention, and a completely confidential place to talk.

If you need help accessing these resources, social workers can ensure you get the support you need.