One or more of the prerequisites is not offered at my university. What do you suggest?

Some of the prerequisites can be obtained through on-line courses. Athabasca University offers the following courses, which have been accepted by our program:

ANTH 354 - Language and Culture (meets requirement for Introductory Linguistics)
MATH 215 - Introduction to Statistics
PSYC 402 - Biological Psychology (meets requirement for Neuropsychology)
PSYC 355 - Cognitive Psychology
PSYC 323 - Developmental Psychology
PSYC 387 - Learning (meets requirement for Cognitive Psychology)

Other on-line universities may offer additional courses.

I'm not sure that a particular course is a match of your prerequisite. I don't see it listed on the University course lists. How can I find out for sure?

Go to the Prerequisite Courses webpage for detailed information on how to review a course that is not on the department website.

If I hold a professional undergraduate degree in speech-language pathology or speech and hearing sciences am I still required to fulfill the 7 prerequisite courses?
Yes.  This program is not designed for students with BScSLP or BSLP degrees or similar degrees.  Therefore, students must fulfill the 7 prerequisite courses by the application deadline. Courses from their professional degree are not considered foundational courses so can not be used for these prerequisite courses.
What kind of degree is accepted?
Students need the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree in a related field such as arts, science, education, etc. A SLP Assistant diploma degree/certificate is not transferable to the UofAB therefore the courses cannot be counted as part of their most recent 60 credits.
How will Winter 2020 grades impact my GPA calculation?

For information about how Winter 2020 grades and credits will effect GPA calculations please consult the official UofA policy.

If prerequisite courses, i.e., approved statistics, child development, cognitive psychology, neuroanatomy/neuropsychology, introduction to linguistics, articulatory phonetics, child language acquisition courses, were taken in Winter 2020 a grade of credit will be accepted as a passing grade to meet the prerequisite course requirement.

How many prerequisite courses can be in progress or to be taken by the application due date for an application to be considered?
A maximum of 2 courses can be in progress during Winter term or courses noted to be taken in Spring or Summer sessions. As soon as a student has registered in a spring or summer course the student should send in proof to the department at csd@ualberta.ca  All courses must be complete prior to the start of Fall term.
How is my GPA calculated?

To determine the GPA we count back chronologically starting from the most recent, applicable 60 credits completed by January 1st of the admission year until we hit 60 credits. If the 60 credits lands in the middle of a smester we use the whole semester. Courses taken in Spring/Summer terms, exchange programs and graduate programs are counted in the GPA.  Certificate-level and Diploma-level courses, and practicum courses, pass/fail courses are NOT included int he calculation of the admission GPA. If applying with any courses listed as in progress after January 1st (winter term) of the year of admission they will not be calculated in the GPA calculation.  If taking course(s) outside of a degree (ie., special student, open studieis) the course(s) must transfer to the UofA.  Courses taken within Alberta can be checked using the Alberta Transfer guide.

Organization of Alberta Students in Speech (OASIS) FAQ

Where am I going to live and how am I going to get around?

There are lots of options for living accommodations in Edmonton, including living in residence, or living off-campus, in many areas of the city. If you don't have your own vehicle, the Edmonton Transit System (ETS) is a great option. A pass for ETS is currently included in your student fees.

Helpful Links:

University of Alberta Residence Services
Off-Campus Housing
Edmonton Transit

How am I going to fund my degree?
  • Some students choose to pursue part-time employment opportunities on or off-campus. Research Assistant (RA) jobs are available through the department, and you will receive more information about this during your first year. Some students choose not to work during the school year. You may consider applying for scholarships or bursaries. The University of Alberta provides some options for financial assistance here.

Am I ever going to have fun?

There are many fun activities that take place throughout the year, within the city of Edmonton, on-campus, or within the department! Campus Recreation offers intramurals, activity classes, and access to the gym.

Helpful Links:

Fitness Center
SU events listing
Movie Listings
West Edmonton Mall

What's the hardest part?

This answer will be different for everyone. Above all, make sure to find a school-life balance that works for you! You will receive lots of support within the department, from your peers and professors. Below are some things that can be challenging, and some resources that may help!

Time management: Mind Tools

Staying Organized: Pinterest, Staples

Keeping a sense of humor: SLP School- Tumblr, A Joke A Day

What do ALL the acronyms mean?

Great question!

RMSA: Rehabilitation Medicine Student's Association

FGSR: Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research

GSA: Graduate Student's Association

SUB: Student's Union Building (U of A North campus)

SAC: Speech and Audiology Canada

ACSLPA:  Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists

Where can I find more information?

If you have questions, the academic advisor for CSD is very helpful. You can reach the department at csd@ualberta.ca

E-mail us if you want to ask a current SLP student: uaspeech@ualberta.ca

Also, check out the following resources: