Equipment Rentals

FRO has communication devices (satellite phones and GPS Text communicators -InReach devices), AEDs  and back-country Medical First Aid kits available to borrow. Please request your equipment online. You will need to access this form by being logged in to Google through your UAlberta CCID. 

Daily Field Safety Log Books

Please request your daily field safety log book to accompany your Field Activities Plan. 

Field Equipment Storage

Field researchers can store their field equipment at a fenced in area located immediately southeast of the Feed Mill (F-45). This is an outdoor storage lot referred to as the South Campus Storage Lot. Within this storage lot, there are cages for combustibles that are assigned to specific departments.  For the access code to the main gate please see the links on the right.  Again, you will need to be logged in with your UAlberta CCID to see these forms.  If you need access to both the main gate and the cages, you will need to fill out both forms. We would suggest that you contact your department first to see if there is available storage space within the department's facilities. 

There is some limited heated storage in the Butler Building, east of the South Campus Storage Lot, however, researchers will have to contact their department to determine if there is available storage. 

If there is no department storage available and you are in need of heated short-term storage for field research equipment/supplies, you can contact Supply Management Services by filling out Storage Request Form and then they can make arrangements with dispatch to have the items picked up and brought to the warehouse in the Materials Management Building.   The Warehouse is heated and is access restricted.  The boxes would need to be stackable and placed on a pallet (either 12 square feet or 18 square feet depending on pallet size). They can give you a firm estimate on the cost once you submit the Storage Request Form. 

Field Safety Equipment List

For a start on building your list of safety equipment for field work, see this reference document.

Tips on Field Equipment Insurance Claims 

For items <$5K each

  • Good practice for insurance claims is to keep an inventory list. You can group items together (e.g. 10 Coleman 1-man tents @ $100/ea).
  • List food reserves taken. If an incident occurred where unconsumed food was lost, the amount of the claim would be pro-rated to the time you were already in the field for. 
  • On-road and off-road licensed vehicles do NOT need to be included in inventory list as they must be registered with Vehicle Pool.

For items >$5K each 

  • Equipment over $5K must be tagged according to the Equipment and Furnishings Asset Management Policy.
  • If taking items in the field, should notify designated department staff  what are the items and for how long.
  • If making an insurance claim, a "re-inventory" is completed and the difference from the original inventory would be the amount of the claim.
  • For losses <$5K - PI/Dept responsibility, for losses >$5K - insurance claim. 
  • Personal Property is not covered under the University Insurance policy.