EHS offers a variety of training programs for University of Alberta staff and students. Online training runs on the EHS Moodle server. There is no charge for any online program for current U of A personnel. For all others, please contact us for pricing and access information.
Take the training
To determine your EHS training needs:
1. Together with your supervisor, conduct a hazard assessment of your work activities.
2. Based on the hazards you've identified (and associated regulatory requirements), complete the appropriate EHS training. You must complete training BEFORE starting work, so be sure to give yourself enough time.
3. Need training not offered by EHS?
You may require safety training that is not offered by EHS; contact other training providers to schedule your course. EHS offers some reimbursement for safety related courses. Complete the Safety Training Support Request form to determine your eligibility. Note that you must enroll in a course, complete it, and be able to show certification before you can apply for funding.
4. Need training where no course exists?
- Together with your supervisor, determine what skills/competencies you require for your role
- Find a person to describe and demonstrate those competencies
- Practice the skill/competency regularly until you and your supervisor feel comfortable
- Demonstrate and document the skill/competency as described below
Before you start work, you must be able to demonstrate competency in your new skill. It is your supervisor's responsibility to ensure (and document) that you've 1) completed the online or classroom training, 2) practiced the skill while supervised, and 3) can demonstrate the skill without assistance.
Have questions about establishing competency? Ask EHS.
Print your certificate
For most courses, you can print your own certificate after you complete all assignments and quizzes.