7.2 Change of Category

Departments submit requests to Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) for approval of these changes of student classification:

  • From qualifying student to master's or doctoral degree student
  • From doctoral degree student to master's degree student
  • From a thesis-based master's to a course-based master's program or vice versa
  • Master's bypass to a doctoral program
  • From a degree program to a postgraduate diploma program or vice versa

The department submits the Recommendation for Change of Category or Academic Probation form, available in the GPS Forms Cabinet under "Records". The forms must be submitted before the add/delete deadline for the term in which the change of program will be effective.

Students who are starting a new graduate degree program after completion of another degree must complete a new Application for Admission.