- A Master’s degree with thesis in physical education, kinesiology, recreation or an area related to student’s specific area of research
- An admission grade point average of 3.0 on most 4.0 grading systems or B on most letter grading systems, based on your most recent two years of full time study (or equivalent). International applicants can view their country's’ minimum academic requirements for admission on FGSR’s website here
- If you are an international applicant, please review the English Language Proficiency requirement below
- Please ensure that your application includes the name of a potential supervisor. More information on how to contact a potential supervisor can be found in How to Apply – Step 3.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose previous degrees are not in English require one of the following:
- TOEFL: minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 88 (internet-based) with a score of at least 20 on each of the individual skill areas
- IELTS: minimum overall band score of 6.5, with at least 5 on each test band (Academic)
- MELAB: minimum score of 85
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) requires an overall score of 59
- EAP 550 may be used to satisfy the English Language requirement (offered through the Faculty of Extension); applicants must successfully complete EAP 550 with a result of CR (credit) before applying to a graduate program. Please contact the Graduate Programs Office for questions regarding EAP 550.
Note: Applicants with qualifications from certain countries and international universities are exempt from the English language requirements. See the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research's exemptions list for more information.
Applicants accepting a Graduate Assistantship must be comfortable leading/teaching undergraduate labs or seminars as part of their Teaching Assignment. See the Funding and Awards section for more information on Graduate Assistantship funding.