Request an Agreement

The university’s Technology Transfer Services (TTS) team can help you draft and negotiate business agreements needed to establish commercial partnerships. The TTS team is the university’s delegated signing authority for all non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements (NDAs/CDAs), material transfer agreements (MTA), data share and data transfer agreements (DSAs/ DTA). As well as other IP agreements (Inter-Institutional Agreements). These agreements are described in more detail below.

To request any of these IP agreements login to the university’s Agreements Portal. Before using the Portal you must create an account with a username and password. This is done via the Portal login page. Please note, the automated confirmation email may be filtered to your spam folder by email protections. 

Agreement Types

  • Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA) governs the exchange of non-public, confidential information between the University of Alberta and an external party. It is typically used for a specific purpose to allow parties to evaluate confidential information and explore a potential collaboration or business relationship. If it is necessary to disclose your invention to an external party before publication, a CDA can prevent unintended loss of patent rights.
  • Data Sharing Agreements (DSA) or Data Transfer Agreement (DTA) is used to allow the transfer of data between the University of Alberta and other institutions for research purposes. DSAs are often used to transfer highly sensitive data, including data that may contain health or personal information. DSA’s typically restrict the use of the data to a very specific purpose and place additional restrictions on recipients, governing the data’s storage, access and disclosure.
  • Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) governs the exchange of tangible materials between institutions for research use. MTAs are commonly used to transfer biological materials and chemical compounds. They can also be used in any instance where it is necessary to define the rights and obligations of provider and recipient with respect to a particular material. This agreement may limit the permitted use and further distribution of the transferred materials, and how results arising from such materials should be managed. In general, a MTA should be requested any time materials are transferred between the University of Alberta and an external party.
  • Self-Serve Outgoing Uniform Biological Material Transfer Agreement (UBMTA)

Do you need a quick and straightforward MTA to send biological materials to another academic researcher?

If you are sending a non-clinical biological material (eg. plasmid, cell line, protein, antibody, animal model), consider using the Uniform Biological Material Transfer Agreement. The researcher-friendly "UBMTA" terms and conditions have been pre-agreed by most research institutions (listed here). A simple two-page form is all that is needed to complete the process with your fellow researcher on your own - no waiting.


  1. Sign into Agreements Portal.
  2. Select "Request Agreement".
  3. Provide a simple title like "Antibody for Rutgers" - something you will recognize later.
  4. Select "Outgoing Uniform Biological Material Transfer" from the dropdown type of agreement list.
  5. Complete information in the request form.
  6. Select "Download as Word Doc" from the top or bottom of the page. A pre-filled implementing letter will download with the UAlberta and your contact information as well as the material description completed. Correct your information as needed.
  7. Don't click "Submit for Review" in the portal form yet!
  8. Sign and send the UBMTA form to the requesting researcher. They will need to enter their contact information and sign the form and then have their contracts or tech transfer office do the same.
  9. When you receive the completed and signed form from the requestor, upload it to the portal.
  10. Click "Submit for Review".
  11. Send the material - no need to wait for review or approval!

Agreements Portal