Seminars must fit within a one-hour time slot. Presentations are around 45-50 minutes with 10-15 minutes for questions.
- (Ph.D. only) The initial seminar presentation can be either the student's own work, or perhaps a survey (eg, in a journal club)
- (Ph.D. only) The second seminar presentation is typically a comprehensive survey of the state-of-the-art with respect to the thesis topic; this is typically delivered around the time of the candidacy exam, to the student's research group.
- The final seminar presentation (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) must be a summary of the dissertation (thesis) and should be delivered close to and before the defense. It must be delivered immediately prior to the defense if being combined with the defense.
- Seminars must be presented on campus at the University of Alberta
- Seminars must be publicly announced (see below)
- Presentations at conferences, workshops, etc. do NOT qualify
- However, holding a practice run of a presentation on campus DOES qualify
- All presentations should be open to the public
- There is no formal evaluation for the presentations
- We encourage supervisors and other attendees to discuss the presentation - both content and form - with the presenter
- It is a not a requirement that a supervisor or faculty member be in attendance
Making Arrangements for Your Seminar
- Schedule your seminar with your supervisor
- Enter the seminar title, time and date into Grad DB
- For final oral presentations, the supervisor enters the information when scheduling the final oral exam
- For the other two seminars (Ph.D. only), the student enters the information as part of their progress report
- Publicly announce your seminar
- By posting your seminar to the web you can also generate an email announcement to be sent once it is approved
- Log in to the event submission form with your CCID (Campus Computing ID)
- Follow the Event Submission Instructions on the right
- Your event "Category" should be Lectures & Seminars
- At the end of the "Event details" section, add "Send notice to: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com (you can list other email addresses or lists you would like the announcement to be sent to as well, comma separated)"
- Submit for approval will send a notice to the webmaster for approval