Applying to the English Language School

Before applying to the English Language School, please review the information below. It explains what type of immigration documents you may need to apply for, and what immigration rules and regulations apply to you during your stay in Canada. 

If you are outside Canada 

Length of studies less than 6 months 

Students have the option to either apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), whichever is applicable to your situation. You also have the option to apply for a Study Permit even if the length of your studies is less than 6 months. Even if you don’t need one, getting a study permit has benefits

If your study situation changes after you have entered Canada as a visitor, and you plan to extend your studies past 6 months, you will need to apply for a study permit and obtain the permit before you can continue your studies. For assistance with the study permit application process, please contact the University of Alberta International Student Specialists.

Length of studies more than 6 months 

If the length of your study program in Canada is longer than 6 months in duration, you will be required to apply for and obtain a Study Permit to engage in studies in Canada. 


If you are inside Canada 

We ask that you contact the University of Alberta International Student Specialists to determine what type of immigration documents you will need to apply for in order to study in Canada. 

Compliance with Study Permit conditions

In order to comply with Study Permit conditions, Study Permit holders who are inside Canada are required to:

  • Actively pursue their studies
  • Maintain enrollment in their program of study

Please note: 

  1. A Study Permit becomes invalid in one of the following ways (whichever comes first):
    • The expiry date listed on the permit, OR
    • 90 days after program completion date
  2. Full-time ESL students who possess a valid Study Permit with appropriate work authorization remarks and a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) are eligible to work only on-campus. 


How to apply to the English Language School program:

  1. Download and complete the English Language School application form.
    • Note: All sections must be completed and should match the information that you submit for your visa application.
  2. Submit the completed form to for review.
    • Submit a valid Academic IELTS or TOEFL iBT test score along with your application form.
    • If you do not have an Academic IELTS or TOEFL test score, a placement test is available through the English Language School. Contact for further information.
  3. You will receive an email with application fee payment instructions within 10 business days.
  4. After your application payment is processed, a Letter of Acceptance will be issued to you and accessible on your Bear Tracks account. 

After applying to the English Language School:

  1. Register for your course and pay the course tuition fee.
    • Contact at least 3 weeks prior to the course start date to complete the course registration.
    • Tuition fee must be paid in full prior to the course start date.
  2. Purchase your textbooks at the University of Alberta Bookstore.
    • After registering for the course, you will receive a list of required textbooks for your course.

Apply Now