Contact the Office of Government and Community Relations if you plan to invite an elected official to your event.
Following proper protocol when inviting an elected official increases the likelihood of your request being granted. It also allows busy government officials to better understand their role and be prepared to participate when called upon.
Items to consider when extending an invitation include:
- Timeliness (certain dignitaries require up to 6 months' notice)
- Significance of the event
- Scale of the event (number of attendees)
- Media attendance
- Role for the dignitary (speaking, attendance, ribbon cutting, etc)
- Event details (date, location, time, etc)
- Style of address
- Order of introductions