Under Section 58.4(1)(c) of the Labour Relations Code, is "the bargaining agent for academically-employed graduate students" and is to act with "exclusive authority" in representing graduate students in negotiating a Collective Agreement. The process is outlined in GSA Bylaw and Policy, Section Q: Collective Bargaining.
The GSA bargains with Board of Governors' representatives, primarily the Provost and Vice-President (Academic), to negotiate out changes to salaries, benefits, and working conditions for academically-employed graduate students (such as Graduate Teaching Assistants, Graduate Research Assistants, and Graduate Research Assistant Fellowships).
Please click here to read the CA.
Please click to consult the information sheet.
Who is covered under the Graduate Student Assistantship Collective Agreement (CA)?
- All graduate students holding assistantships:
- Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTA) (including Principal Instructors)
- Graduate Research Assistants (GRA)
- Graduate Research Assistant Fellowships (GRAF)
- Academically-Related Employment other than Assistantships (ARE):
- Casual Academically-Related Employment
Note: Students who are funded through scholarships are NOT covered under the CA.
Visit the Archive tab for past CAs.