This guide is meant to informally help graduate students navigate some of the requirements of applying for GSA Recognition Awards. Any further questions regarding GSA Recognition Awards can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information on the GSA Recognition Awards and Adjudication Criteria, as well as the composition and mandate of the GSA Awards Selection Committee, can be found in GSA Bylaw and Policy, Section O: GSA Recognition Awards.
Information on the GSA Recognition Awards Adjudication Procedures can be found in GSA Board Policy.
If there is any discrepancy between the information on this website and the information found in GSA Bylaw and Policy and GSA Board Policy, GSA Bylaw and Policy and GSA Board Policy take precedent.
How many awards can you be nominated or self-nominated for and receive?
- According to GSA Bylaw and Policy regarding the number of awards you can be nominated or self-nominated for, there is "no maximum number of GSA Recognition Awards an individual can apply for each year, but they must meet the application eligibility requirements for the award, and each award applied for must have a complete application package."
- Regarding the number of times an individual can be nominated or self-nominated for the same award, GSA Bylaw and Policy states, "only once each year."
- Regarding the number of awards you can receive each year, GSA Bylaw and Policy states, "no more than one (1) GSA Recognition Award each year."
- Regarding the number of times an individual or group can receive the same award, GSA Bylaw and Policy states, "no more than two (2) times."
Can I use the same Nomination Information Form for more than one award?
- No, each completed nomination package must include a new Nomination Information Form, even if the same nominee is submitting multiple award nominations.
Can I nominate myself?
How should I organize my CV?
- The GSA Awards Selection Committee recommends that students order the contents of their CV in relation to the award for which they are applying (eg. if you are applying for the GSA Graduate Student Service Award, place your volunteer experience closer to the top).
- The GSA Awards Selection Committee recommends that each section of your CV be listed in reverse chronology.
- Please do not include a cover letter.
Why do I need to rank my award preference on the Nomination Information Form?
- Each recipient can only receive one award per year. This year, we are asking for your preference if you are applying for more than one award. In the event that a student is ranked highly in more than one award category, the GSA Awards Selection Committee can take their preference into consideration.
- This ranking will not affect adjudication and will only be considered after all applications have been scored.
How do I get an Enrollment Verification Document?
- Enrollment Verification Documents can be printed from your Bear Tracks account. Sign on with your CCID at https://www.beartracks.ualberta.ca/ and navigate to "Academics" --> "My Academics" -->"Verification Documents" - select the tab for "Enrollment/Degree/Credential Verification Document". Follow the instructions to select the Enrollment Verification and be sure to click the option to Print Online (below the box).
- Enrollment Verification Documents should not be sent directly to the GSA office, as they must arrive with your nomination package.
- The following awards do not require an Enrollment Verification Document: Academic Staff Award, Non-Academic Staff Award, Graduate Student Supervisor Award, and the Graduate Student Group Award. All other awards require an Enrollment Verification Document.
How do I submit my application package electronically?
- Please submit your electronic application as an email attachment via your UAlberta email to email@example.com.
- Send your documents in PDF format; application packages should be combined in a single, merged file.
- If you are applying for more than one award, please include separate files for each award.
- Only include the documents listed in the Nomination Information section on the relevant award webpage. Extraneous documents (title pages, table of contents, cover letters, etc.) will be deleted.
Why do I need to provide my GSA appointment letter?
- In the past, students have expressed confusion about who is eligible for the GSA Graduate Student Research Assistant Award. Providing a copy of your appointment letter (your employment contract) is the simplest way for us to ensure that all applicants for this award are eligible.
- GRA appointments are eligible; GRAF appointments are not eligible.
How do I know which awards I am eligible for?
The GSA offers numerous GSA Recognition Awards and often the biggest challenge/issue graduate students have is knowing which award to apply for. The Q&A below is meant to help graduate students navigate the various award categories. Please review the complete information and nomination package for the specific award you are considering.
- Are you a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)? If yes, then review the information for the Graduate Student Research Assistant Awards.
- Do you have an exceptional record of publications and conference presentations related to quality research/creative activity? If yes, then review the information for the Martha Piper Awards.
Community Service and Volunteering
Are you an International Student with a strong record of service, research, and teaching?
Are you in the first year or year and a half of your graduate program? Do you have an excellent record of service research, and teaching?
- The GSA also recognizes the important role of graduate student groups in the graduate student life. Please consider reviewing the eligibility requirements and nominating your GSA-registered graduate student group for the GSA Graduate Student Group Award.
- There are also a number of awards recognizing the amazing faculty, staff, alumni, and benefactors who support and mentor graduate students; these awards include the Academic Staff Award, the Non-Academic Staff Award, and the Graduate Student Supervisor Awards. Please review the information for these awards and consider nominating eligible individuals. Group nominations are not accepted.
Any questions about GSA Recognition Awards should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org