Are you covered under the CA and have questions or concerns?

Contact the GSA AVP Labour:

The GSA Associate Vice-President Labour meets individually and upon request with:

  • Graduate Teaching Assistants,
  • Graduate Research Assistants,
  • Graduate Research Assistance Fellowship holders, and
  • Casual Academically-Related Employment holders.

These graduate students, who are otherwise referred to as Academically-Employed Graduate Students (AEGSs), can meet with the AVP Labour to ensure their rights under the CA are respected. The GSA believes that all AEGSs are entitled to the best possible work environment and encourages graduate students to reach out to us if you feel the terms of your contract or the CA have not been adhered to. All discussions are confidential - we are here to help!

You can e-mail the GSA Associate Vice-President Labour ( with a copy to the GSA Associate Director (

Contact Your Faculty Steward

Alternatively, AEGSs may also seek assistance from their respective elected* Faculty Stewards:

*Names and contact information of Faculty Stewards will be listed as they are appointed.


Consult with the University Office of the Student Ombuds

For problems outside the CA, the GSA has advocated for a full-time Graduate Student Ombudsperson (, tel: 780-492-4689) at the Office of the Student Ombuds

It may also be appropriate to contact your home faculty, FGSR.

Joint Work Site Health and Safety Committee

Do you have a health and safety question or concern in regards to your work site? In accordance with provincial legislation, the University struck a Joint Health and Safety Committee. You are encouraged to contact them with your questions and concerns regarding workplace health and safety.

The GSA AVP Labour is one member of this Joint Work Site Health and Safety Committee and thus may be able to offer guidance on this front. Find their contact information near the top of this page.