Getting Around



An aerial view of the UAlberta North Campus

The University of Alberta's north (main) campus is easy to get around - you can walk across it in about 15 - 20 minutes or move around even quicker with a bicycle. A campus map is available online; use this tool to find the location of your courses and other events; it even shows most buildings' interior. Should you need to go between North Campus, South Campus, and Enterprise Square, the LRT is your best option.

Specialized Support and Disability Services has a detailed list of accessible locations on campus, parking accommodation, and pick-up/drop-off zones for the DATS transportation service.

Augustana Campus

Augustana Campus is located in the town of Camrose, about 100 kilometres southeast of Edmonton.

Campus St. Jean

There is a free shuttle bus between the UAlberta north campus and Campus St. Jean for all UAlberta students, staff, and faculty. You can find the bus stop between the Fine Arts Building (FAB) and the Timms Centre.

Public Transit

Edmonton Transit Service

Most major destinations in the Edmonton area are accessible by public transit. The Edmonton Transit System (ETS) offers Bus and LRT (light rail transit) service around Edmonton. The ETS Trip Planner can help you find a route to your destination.

U-Pass - ETS Ride Transit Program

All students registered on-campus in at least one four-credit course during the Fall and/or Winter term are automatically included in the U-Pass Program. The U-Pass gives students access to transit services on ETS, St. Albert Transit, and Strathcona Transit.

Faculty of Extension students (including students in the English Language Program) are not eligible for the U-Pass.

View the Application Guidelines for the Ride Transit Program.

Major stops

  • The University LRT and bus station serve North Campus and Health Sciences/Jubilee LRT station.
  • LRT and bus can reach South Campus at the South Campus station.
  • Enterprise Square can be reached by bus or at the Enterprise Square/Bay LRT station.
  • Get to Campus Saint-Jean (Bus Stop 2576 and 2036) by bus.
  • Michener Park Residence (Bus Stop 2509) has excellent bus connections to the South and North Campus.

LRT Trains arrive every 15 minutes and every 5-10 minutes during peak hours throughout the day. Most bus routes run every 15 or 30 minutes, depending on the time of day and season. Route 4 runs East-West from Bonnie Doon and Capilano, through University Station to Lewis Estates. Route 9 runs North-South from Northgate and Eaux Claires through Downtown to Southgate Mall.

Check the ETS website for route changes. You can also text your bus stop number to 31100 to see when the next bus is arriving. 

The LRT (Light Rail Transit) is an Edmonton system that combines a subway and above-ground rail service. There are many places you can reach with the LRT.


Cycling around the UAlberta campus

Cycling is a cheap and sustainable transportation option for many months of the year in Edmonton. Check out the following resources:

Cycling Safety & Tips

  • All cyclists in Edmonton must have a helmet and bell at all times.
  • Having reflectors on your bike is a good idea, so you're visible at night.
  • Cyclists must follow the same rules as other vehicles on the road. Many car and truck drivers are not very aware of bicycles on the road, so be cautious of traffic around you.
  • Bike theft can be a problem, so make sure to lock up your bike securely.
  • Buses on many routes now have bike racks, and you can take your bike on the LRT at certain hours of the day.


Driving in Edmonton

Suppose you have a valid driver’s license from your home country. In that case, you can continue to use your home license as long as it stays current and you are registered as a full-time student at the University of Alberta (an accredited institution), or you are working as part of a co-op study program.

While in Alberta as an international student, you are permitted to drive a vehicle of the same type or class authorized by your valid driver's licence issued from your home country. You can also drive a vehicle with a valid registration and insurance policy from your home country. The registration must be in the student’s name alone or with another person as a joint owner.

When driving, you must be able to provide proof of your full-time student status by producing an identification card issued by the educational institution you are attending if requested by any peace officer.

You must contact your home country's motor vehicles office to ensure you comply with their legislation requirements.

In some cases, you may be able to exchange your out-of-country driver's license for an Alberta driver's license. If you are an Alberta resident from a country with a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with Alberta, you may exchange your out-of-country driver's license for an Alberta driver's license.

Your status changes when you are no longer actively enrolled at an accredited educational institution on a full-time basis. You may be considered an Alberta resident and required, by law, to apply for an Alberta driver's licence and registration within 90 days. This might not apply if you are in Alberta for the summer months as long as you are enrolled full-time for the fall term.

If you plan to purchase a vehicle in Alberta, you need to check with your insurance broker if it is required to have an Alberta Driver's License to qualify for auto insurance. If you require an Alberta Driver’s License, you must take a written exam and a road test.

Renting a car

Rules and regulations vary. Check with the car rental company for details; Pogo CarShare is UAlberta's campus car share partner.

Taxis & Vehicle Hire Services

You can hail a taxi on major streets most of the day or night, but a more reliable option is to call ahead to a taxi service. Taxis will charge a base rate for each ride, and the cost will increase with distance and time travelled. It is considered polite to give your driver a small tip. Edmonton's taxi companies include CO-OP and the Greater Edmonton Taxi Service (Yellow Cab, Prestige, and Barrel Taxi).

Services such as Uber are also active in Edmonton.

Connect with us!