Health and Wellness


Read the latest UAlberta COVID Update.

Health and Wellness is about a lot more than just not getting sick. University life can be stressful, and it's important to look after many different contributors to your wellness, such as eating well, staying active, and finding ways to destress. However, for many, the new environment, climate, social situations, etc., arises a need to look after yourself medically as well. Check out the following resources:

General Health

Health Care Insurance

Medical expenses (i.e. doctor visits, prescriptions, emergency services) can be extremely high in Canada. You will need health insurance while you are here, either AHCIP or UAHIP. See the Health Insurance page for information and coverage details.

Finding Health Practitioners

University Health Centre

The University Health Centre, located in SUB 2-200, is a convenient on-campus clinic that offers various medical services to UAlberta students, staff, and faculty. These services include physical examinations, immunizations, and nutrition advice, among others.

If you visit the University Health Centre, you'll need to bring your ONE card, as well as your health insurance card.

Get Help and Information by Phone

In Alberta, you can call HealthLink at 811. HealthLink is often much quicker than going to a hospital or clinic, and it can help you in many ways, including:

  • Health advice: if you have questions about a health issue or need to know what to do
  • Health information: should you have health-related questions, HealthLink can provide answers.
  • Finding healthcare: HealthLink can help you find a hospital, clinic, or other medical services.

HealthLink also provides service in many languages - if you're unsure about asking your question in English, you're able to request service in your native language.

Walk-in Clinics

Walk-in clinics (no appointment necessary) are a great option for dealing with minor injuries and illnesses or routine medical examinations. These clinics are located all over Edmonton and are often a better option than hospitals in non-emergency situations. Medicentres are the largest walk-in clinic provider in the Edmonton area, although you can call HealthLink (811) for information about clinics near you.

Finding a Doctor

The College of Physicians and Surgeons has a "Find a Physician" service on their website. With the advanced search, you can identify doctors who speak your native language.

Read more on Accessing Health Services in Canada.

Personal Safety and Security

The North Campus of the University of Alberta covers a large area of the City of Edmonton, and the daily population of the campus alone reaches over 50,000 people. We all have a role to play in maintaining a safe environment for the staff and students. University of Alberta Protective Services has Peace Officers working throughout the campus, and they have put together a Personal Safety and Security Handbook for your reference.


Safewalk is a program run through the UAlberta Student Union. It provides a safe and reliable alternative to walking alone at night around the UAlberta campus community. This program will provide two volunteers to escort you anywhere around the UAlberta campus or the surrounding community at night or after dark. You can book a walk at 780-492-5563.

NOTE: Safewalk does not operate during the summer months (May-August).

Counselling & Clinical Services

Counselling & Clinical Services

Asking for help when you need it is crucial. You can visit UAlberta's Counselling & Clinical Services on the 2nd floor of the Students' Union Building.

Disability Needs

Student Accessibility Services

Student Accessibility Services offers support and information for students with disabilities on campus.

Support from Friends

Peer Program

Run by International Student Services, this program matches new international students with senior students who provide ongoing information, assistance and guidance throughout the year. They will also keep you up to date on the various social events and activities through the International Centre.

Formerly the Student Distress Centre is a Students' Union service that offers the University community a place to talk to someone for support. The Centre is located in Room 2-707 of the Students' Union Building and provides services over the phone.

An LGBT student group that aims to provide a positive atmosphere and meeting space, crisis support, and work to end discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

Connect with us!