Arriving in Canada

If your study permit application is approved, the visa office will issue you a Letter of Study Permit Approval. Check this letter to make sure all the information is correct.

When you arrive in Canada, the CBSA officer will ask to see your travel documents. You should be ready to show the following:

  • a valid passport or travel document
  • the letter of Study Permit Approval (this letter contains your permit reference number and the CBSA officer needs this letter to issue your study permit)
  • a valid temporary resident visa (if required)
  • a copy of the letter of acceptance from the University
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada
  • letters of reference or any other documents recommended by the visa office where you applied

Carry these items and all other valuable papers, cash and traveller's cheques with you at all times. Do not put them in your checked luggage.

You may not be allowed into Canada if any of your documents are missing or if any of the information on your application or letters of reference is incorrect.

After you show your Study Permit Approval letter to the CBSA officer, you will be issued a study permit. Review to make sure your personal information on the study permit is accurate. Notify the CBSA officer if there are any mistakes.

Remember the expiry date of your Study Permit

If your course of study requires you to remain in Canada past the expiry date, you must obtain a renewal of your permit before that date. You can apply for a renewal from within Canada.

Find out more about preparing for your arrival on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. 

Additional Resources

Check out the following videos on what to expect when arriving in Canada.