Find Housing

Temporary Accommodation

Students are responsible for arranging accommodation in a hostel or hotel from their date of arrival until their residence move-in date.

The temporary accommodations listed below are just a sample of many accommodation options within Edmonton that are relatively close to the North Campus. Students are welcome to search online for other options that meet their needs and budget. It is best to book accommodation with an Edmonton address instead of an address in Leduc or Nisku which are close to the airport, but outside of the city of Edmonton.

Temporary accommodation should be arranged prior to your arrival in Edmonton so that you have a place to stay until you can move into your university residence.

Contact these accommodations directly to make your reservations. When you do, mention that you are a new international student at the U of A to receive any available discount.

Long Term Accommodation

On-Campus Residence

Off-Campus Housing

There are many housing options for international students, both on campus and around Edmonton. Here are resources for finding a place to live when you first arrive.

On-Campus Residence

Living on campus is a great option, and international students who prefer living in residence do so because of the convenient location. The organized program of activities helps students build new friendships and offers academic support. You can arrange housing before arriving in Edmonton.

Residences at the University of Alberta offer housing for students based on their year of study. 

Residences fill up quickly, and you do not need final admission to the university before applying for University housing. Apply here.

Off-Campus Housing

Tips for looking for accommodation:

  • Arrive two weeks to a month before classes to arrange off-campus housing.
  • Reserve at least one week for temporary accommodation before you arrive so that you will have a place to stay while you arrange permanent housing.
  • Visit the accommodation in person and meet prospective roommates - If you cannot see the accommodation in person, ask the landlord to provide you with pictures of each room.
  • Review rental agreement details. Staff cannot enter into any housing agreement on your behalf.
  • We recommend that international students and visitors get tenant insurance. This coverage can protect against losses to your personal property, including clothes, jewelry, luggage, computers, furniture, and electronics. Tenant insurance provides coverage for your belongings against common risks such as theft, fire, and loss due to water damage. Your landlord is not responsible for reimbursing you for damage to your personal property, even if that damage is through no fault of yours.

Additional Items to Note:

  • Prices vary depending on size, location, etc., and may include the cost of utilities (electricity, heat, water, etc.) in the rent.
  • If utilities (heat, electricity, water, etc.) are not included in the rental costs, ask what the average cost is in the winter, which is likely to be more expensive.
  • Sharing accommodations can be less expensive than renting an apartment alone.
  • Find out about laundry facilities inside the building and nearby.
  • Learn about public transportation and accessibility for your needs.

What types of rental accommodation are available in Edmonton?

Edmonton has a wide variety of accommodations available. Here are some descriptions to better acquaint yourself with the options you can expect.

High Rise Apartments Off-campus housing at UAlberta, high-rise apartments
Most apartments have a stove and a refrigerator; some may have a dishwasher. The building may have a common space to hold parties, swim, or exercise. A laundry facility is usually available in this type of building.

Walk-up Apartments Off-campus housing at UAlberta, walk-up apartment
These apartments are in two or three-story buildings with several units. Apartments typically include a stove and a refrigerator; you may have access to a clothes washer and dryer.

Suites (in a house) Off-campus housing at UAlberta, house
This is a small private room within a larger house. They usually have a stove and a refrigerator but no clothes washer or dryer. Suites are often located in the house's basement, so there may be a limited amount of natural light.

Room and Board (Apartment or house) Off-campus housing at UAlberta, room and board
This type of accommodation provides sleeping quarters only, with access to potentially shared bathroom facilities and some or all meals (depending on rates charged).

Bachelor Apartment Off-campus housing at UAlberta, bachelor or studio apartment
Found in high-rises, walk-ups, or houses, this type of apartment consists of a single room with a kitchenette, bathroom facilities, and sleeping space. There is no separate bedroom space.

Shared Accommodation (house, apartment, or suite) Off-campus housing at UAlberta, shared accommodation
Sharing rental costs with friends or other students is considerably cheaper than renting alone, but this option has less privacy.

Learn about your rights and responsibilities as a renter

Homestays in Edmonton

If you prefer to have your housing arranged in advance of your arrival and are interested in living with a Canadian family, a homestay may be a good option for you.