Information for Ukrainian Students


Students who are currently outside of Canada:

Step 1: Apply for the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) 

Step 2: Once you receive the CUAET Visa you can travel to Canada. 

Step 3: Upon arrival in Canada, you will be issued an open work permit. You can request the officer to issue your study permit at the port of entry; however, you will need to explain that you are starting your program of study soon, and it is very important for you to receive the study permit as soon as possible. You will need to present all of the documents received from UAlberta (admission letter, funding letter).  

**Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be issued the study permit at the port of entry, so you need to plan to arrive in Canada at least 1 month before the start of your program. 

Step 4: If you are not issued the study permit at the port of entry you need to apply for your study permit online as soon as possible. Please note you cannot start your program of study until you have received your study permit approval. 

Students who are already in Canada:

Step 1: Apply for your study permit. Please note you cannot start your program of study until you have received your study permit approval. 

View tips on how to apply inside Canada for your study permit.


U of A Ukrainian Student Funding

The funding letter you received from the University of Alberta outlines the amount of funding you will receive. The Tuition waiver will be applied to the tuition for 2 semesters in 2022/2023 academic year. If you start your studies in Fall 2022 then your tuition will be waived for Fall 2022 and Winter 2023. If you start your studies in Winter 2023 then your tuition will be waived for Winter 2023 and Spring/Summer 2023. The cost of living amount will be split into 2 semesters Fall 2022 and Winter 2023 OR Winter 2023 and Spring/Summer 2023.  

** You have to be enrolled in courses for both semesters to receive your funding. 

Please update your address to your Canadian address in your Beartracks as soon as possible to ensure you receive your funding. You will also need to set up a bank account as soon as possible after arrival in Canada. 

CUAET Funding

Ukrainian students who are 18 years of age or older can apply online for $3000 of funding through the Federal Government.  

Students who are under the age of 18 can access $1500 of funding through the same program. The guardian who was identified on their CUAET application can apply for this funding on their behalf.  If the student does not have a guardian in Canada, please submit a general inquiry through the Student Service Portal and include "CUAET Funding - Under 18" in your message.

Q. I am a current student on Study Permit with Ukrainian citizenship, what financial support is available to me?

As a current study permit student with Ukrainian citizenship, you will be charged the domestic tuition rate instead of the international tuition rate for the duration of their program. Tuition rates vary by program. Find domestic and international rates for your program. 

You will also have access to international need-based support (student bursaries) based on your financial need. Applications to bursaries will open in the Summer of 2023. 

If you are facing financial challenges prior to the start of the Fall 2023 term, please email

Working In Canada

Ukrainian students who receive the open work permit at the port of entry can work both on and off campus. There are no restrictions on the number of hours. 

For more information about working under your study permit conditions, please see our website. For resources related to working in Canada, visit the UAlberta Career Centre.

Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you want to work in Canada, you will need to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

  • To apply for your SIN in person, you need to request an appointment.
  • To request an appointment, use the online service request form.  The location is: Service Canada, Canada Place on Jasper Avenue. The office is open from Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
  • Consult the What you need before you apply page to ensure you have all the required documents ready before you apply.
  • Work or Study Permit
  • Passport

You can also apply online for the SIN.

Health Care

All Ukrainian nationals who arrived in Alberta on the CUAET program qualify for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). 

Applying for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)

To apply for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), you will need to prepare the following documents to present in person:

Take all documents to an Authorized Registry Agent to apply.

Applying for an Alberta Health Benefits program

Once you receive your Alberta personal health card, you can apply to receive additional health benefits that includes ongoing coverage for prescription drugs, essential over-the-counter medications, eye exams and glasses, dental care, essential diabetic supplies and emergency ambulance services.

Ukrainian evacuees will receive an Alberta Health Benefits (Ukrainian Evacuee) application form in the mail after they receive their Alberta personal health card. Complete this form and mail it using the pre-addressed envelope provided (registries cannot accept this form) or fax it to the number below.

Alberta Community and Social Services
Health Benefits Contact Centre
P.O. Box 2222 Station Main
Edmonton, AB  T5J 5H3

Fax to:
780-415-8386 in Edmonton
1-855-415-8386 toll-free outside Edmonton

An Alberta Health Benefits card will be mailed to you once the application has been processed. Please allow 2 to 4 weeks for processing. If you require emergency prescription drug coverage and/or emergency dental and optical services while your application is being processed, call Alberta Supports or the 24-hour Emergency Income Support Contact Centre as listed above.

Remember to carry both your Alberta personal health card and the Alberta Health Benefits card whenever you need health services.

Community Resources