Study Permit Extension

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Study Permit regulations to consider:

  • You must be physically present inside Canada to submit your Study Permit extension online.
  • All applications must include the University of Alberta Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number. University of Alberta DLI #: O19257171832. Note: The first character in the DLI number is the letter 'O', not the digit/number zero '0'.
  • If you submit your study permit extension BEFORE the expiration date on your current study permit, once it expires, you will have “maintained status” that allows you to continue to study (and work) while you wait for a final decision.
  • If your study permit expires and you have not applied to extend your study permit before its expiration date, you will be able to restore your student status only if you meet the conditions of your study permit and apply within 90 days from the expiry date. You must not engage in any study or work until your Study Permit restoration application gets approved. 
  • If you do not comply with the conditions of your study permit, you may be asked to leave Canada by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer.
  • Your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your studies or on the expiry date of your study permit, whichever comes first.
  • If you are from one of the visa-required countries, you need to extend your study permit, wait till you receive your permit then apply for your TRV. You cannot apply for both at the same time.  

Renewing Online

You can renew your study permit online with the following supporting documents:

  • Passport (include all marked pages that have stamps or visas from any country)
  • University document confirming admission/enrollment: 
    • Your original admission (acceptance) letter (only applies to students who will be starting a new study program), OR
    • Proof of current enrolment  (applies to students who are continuing studies in the same program)
      • Undergraduate students: request verification of enrolment through Beartracks (under Academic Records > Verification Documents > Enrollment Verification> Verification of Enrollment including courses option).).
        • If you are applying to extend your Study Permit after the registration for the upcoming Fall and Winter has commenced, you must include a Verification of Enrolment for upcoming Fall and Winter terms (for example, students applying to extend their study permits in April 2024 are advised to submit Verification of Enrolment for Fall 2024 and Winter 2025).
        • If this document is not available through Beartracks, you must request it from the Student Service Centre explaining that it is needed in support of your study permit extension.
        • Additional documents may be required! Check with an International Student Specialist to determine what, if any, additional documents you may need. Examples of cases where additional documents may be required include but are not limited to: taking an extended break from studies (1 year or longer), your verification of enrollment doesn’t reflect the actual time you need to complete your program.
      • Graduate students need to complete and submit this form to request a letter confirming their enrolment and expected completion date from FGSR.
  • Proof of funds available/means of support (this is usually in the form of the most recent 4-month bank statements of your Canadian bank account in addition to a recently issued funding letter from the person/institution providing the financial support (for example, a parent or your supervisor).

The Study Permit extension application fee is $150 CDN. Biometrics fee of $85 may apply for certain applicants. Learn more about the biometrics requirement.

It is important to apply as early as possible since the processing time may take a few months (typically, 3 months prior to study permit expiration date; in certain cases you may need to submit your application earlier than that depending on your situation). You can check the current estimate of processing times online.

If you have family members (spouse, common-law partner or dependent children) who are accompanying you in Canada, you can apply to extend their immigration documents at the same time when you apply for your Study Permit extension if you will be applying early enough. Speak with an International Student Specialist before submitting your application to determine the best course of action for you and your family.

Watch How to Extend Your Study Permit Online

Lubna Ahmad, Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and International Student Specialist, walks you through how to create your IRCC GCKey account and how to start your study permit extension application online.

NOTE: On January 30, 2024, a new version of the study permit extension application form (IMM5709) will be available. If you apply through the IRCC secure account on or after this date, you must use the new version of the form. The IRCC will not accept applications using the old version of the form.

In the video below, Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and International Student Specialist, Lubna Ahmad walks you through completing your study permit extension form (IMM5709). Review the instructions on this PDF document on how to fill out certain sections on the IMM 5709 form. 


Study Permit Extension

Get tips on how to apply for a Study Permit Extension by following our helpful tip sheet. 

Read tips