Travelling Outside of Canada

The peace arch on the Canadian-American border

If you are not from a visa-exempt country and wish to travel outside Canada to another country, you will need a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in addition to your valid temporary resident status document (e.g., study or work permit) to re-enter Canada.

Entry to the United States of America

If you wish to visit the United States, you may require a US Visitor Visa. However, citizens of certain countries may be able to travel without a visa on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if they intend to visit the United States for less than 90 days and meet other certain conditions. Complete information and application forms for US Visitor Visas are available online or by calling 403-800-1194.

All persons (including international students residing in Canada) who wish to apply for a US Visitor Visa must make an appointment to apply in person. Call 1-703-439-2319 (if you are in Canada but outside of Calgary) or visit the US Visa Service website to book an appointment.

The nearest US Visa Office is the United States Consulate General in Calgary.

United States Consulate General
10th Floor 615 Macleod Trail S.E.
Calgary, Alberta T2G 4T8
Phone 403-266-8962
1-900-451-2778 (note: this is not a toll-free number)

It is recommended that you book your appointment 2 months or more in advance of your intended travel date.

Graduate students who may need to attend scientific conferences in the US are advised to apply for their visas as early as possible and be prepared to provide a CV/resume, list of publications and invitation letter/conference confirmation.

Visit the US Embassy's website for more detailed information about applying for a US visa.

Re-entering Canada from Visits to the US and Other Countries

If you are a citizen of one of the countries that do not require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada, you will be able to re-enter Canada as long as your Study Permit or Temporary Resident Status is valid. You should have with you proof of enrolment at the University (a copy of your Certificate of Registration) and proof of financial support.

Subscribe to Global Beat

Global Beat is the International Services Centre's bi-weekly newsletter. It is one of many channels used to keep International Students and visitors up-to-date on the latest news, information, and upcoming events both on and off-campus.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Connect with us!